• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Bridger Hawken Loads for My Elk Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a muzzleloader antlerless elk hunt the end of the month and have been checking out my loads. This in my copy of Jim Bridger's rifle I built. First day I shot 80 grains of Goex 2F, only three shots without my chronograph, but that velocity is about 1500 fps. Used a salvaged target from my range. These shots are taped over but numbered. First one hit one inch left and half an inch high at 100 yards, then 2 3/4" low on line, then 4" high and 2.5" left.Next day I went back and (being low on Goex 2F) shot 80 grains of Goex 3F, shots X (mixed up my numbering), 4, 5 and 6. These shots were all with a damp cleaning patch on the seater jag, no other wiping or cleaning.

Shots 7 and 8 were with 100 grains (weight-corrected measure) of Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F. Got distracted by another shooter, there may be two shots in No. 8 hole.

Next day I went back to shoot my chosen load but forgot my powder measure and patching at home in my hunter's bag. So I shot .530 Speers with .015 (ratchet reading) linen. I had to use my Goex 3F 100 grain measure, which holds 103 grains of Goex 2F. The three shots averaged 1651 fps with 35 spread. With no cleaning, I next used Olde Eynsford 2F in the same measure, 103 grains. Velocity 1809 fps, 48 spread. I wasn't holding the forend down on the rest, so the shots are high. (I made my front sight low, just like on the Bridger rifle). This is about a 150 yard zero, OK for my open-country hunting.

You're loading and shooting is as thoughtful as your building Herb. Well done all around! Looking forward to your hunting report.

Thanks, BB. There is more. Someone had set up a target that looks like 150 yards, so I put up a cardboard there and shot on that. First I cleaned the bore then loaded the 103 grains of OE 2F with .018 pillow ticking and the .530 Speer. There was a three o'clock breeze, which drifted the group, which measured 2.5 inches.

The next day I returned with my 100 grain OE 2F measure and .526 balls and the same .013 linen patches I used in my .58 flintlock for my deer hunt last fall. Shot three shots, one drifted in a left wind, saw the dust roll away. Had only 8 .526 balls left (for ease of quick reloading on my elk hunt, should that be needed), so I went back to the .530 Speers. Shot #4, the patch holed and the ball went out of the group. Shot #5, I spilled some of the powder in loading, it was 1632 fps. Shot #6 got caught in that same left wind. #7 went where it should. The .530s loaded OK, so I can use them.

I think with no wind I could cut strings at 150 yards from rest, as I have already done at 100 yards with this same load. Got my load. Now for an elk.

Will, I use a mix of about one part of Murphy Oil Soap and three parts of 91% rubbing alcohol. I also use this on the seater jag patch and in cleaning.

Herb said:
Thanks, BB. There is more. Someone had set up a target that looks like 150 yards, so I put up a cardboard there and shot on that. First I cleaned the bore then loaded the 103 grains of OE 2F with .018 pillow ticking and the .530 Speer. There was a three o'clock breeze, which drifted the group, which measured 2.5 inches.

The next day I returned with my 100 grain OE 2F measure and .526 balls and the same .013 linen patches I used in my .58 flintlock for my deer hunt last fall. Shot three shots, one drifted in a left wind, saw the dust roll away. Had only 8 .526 balls left (for ease of quick reloading on my elk hunt, should that be needed), so I went back to the .530 Speers. Shot #4, the patch holed and the ball went out of the group. Shot #5, I spilled some of the powder in loading, it was 1632 fps. Shot #6 got caught in that same left wind. #7 went where it should. The .530s loaded OK, so I can use them.

I think with no wind I could cut strings at 150 yards from rest, as I have already done at 100 yards with this same load. Got my load. Now for an elk.

this rifle reminds me an awful lot of my J Browning 50cal mountain rifle. that is a very nice rifle sir and I hope you good luck on your elk hunt.

at the very least you will be accompanied with a very fine rifle while out on the hunt.

and good shooting as well.

rj morrison said:
there are no words to describe your rifle. eqswisitic.

The rifle is nice. But the wonder is Herb. He is the man. :hatsoff:
We all could...SHOULD let him be an example to the rest of us. He has a shooting discipline that few others possess. :bow: Using an offhand rifle at practice he is producing bench-rest winning groups. :shocked2: :thumbsup:

Gosh, fellas, my head will get so swelled that I won't be able to get it down on the stock behind my sights. Probably miss my elk....

Good to hear from you! Haven't seen you since the Prairie du Chien Rendezvous, what, two years ago now? Last year I gave my .54 engraved Hawken to my nephew who works in Prairie but lives just across the river in Iowa. We went to a range north of Prairie where we shot about 10 shots, but Dave is not comfortable with this new rifle. If I give you his phone number, would you be able to visit with him and maybe mentor him to where he can kill an Iowa deer? I learned that shooting a muzzle loading firearm is a whole new world for those unacquainted with one.

82 years young and going on an elk hunt. My hat is off to you sir :hatsoff:.

If you feel like commenting a bit in your interest of Jim Bridger, this younger buck would be all ears.

Back