• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fire bow drill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwtradegun

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am making one. I have made the bow, used rawhide for the string. other than twisting string wet and drying does it need to be treated..

I think the big deal is getting the proper wood for the fire board and drill- I think one is soft wood and the other hardwood- I myself never had much luck on it although I wish I could get a fire started that way. A hand twisted drill- I can't believe some folks get that to work.

I mean does the rawhide string need to be treated I have the correct wood for each component.

Rawhide is/was used for bowstring, it will flex but it's not really that loose(?) know hwat I mean?
I don't see how a rawhide string or cord will spin around a drill with enough of the required speed.
The only thing I can think of is to get the rawhide string "wet" before trying to use it for a bow drill.
I know of no other way or treatment to make true rawhide soft and pliable besides the tanning process. But if you "tan" rawhide it's not rawhide anymore.

I have not used rawhide for a bowdrill cord but that is the part of the kit that takes the most abuse/wear in my experience. I'll be interested to hear how it works for you. What wood do you plan to use? I have had good luck with aspen, sage, juniper, birch and cottonwood.

You might try a plant fiber string, or horse hair. The string doesn't have to be all that strong. Leather or oiled rawhide thong ought to work, though. Plain dry rawhide is not at all pliable.

Latest posts

Back