• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Whats your favorite Tobacco?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Kinni kinick from blue heron mercantile,it an herbal blend with no tobacco in it so I get around the insurance company and no addiction either,
Takes a little to get used to but it is a cool smoke doesn't taste like tobacco but smoother than corn silk :wink: might be a tad hard to explain if you get pulled over and the police see it, it looks a lot like mary joo wanny.

Punche, would be a p.c. type of tobacco for the Western U.S., especially for early trappers working out of Taos. It was what the local Spaniards, Mexicans, and NDNs all used before traders started bringing tobacco (N. tabacum) from the East.

Punche can be one of three local species of wild tobacco, Nicotiana obtusifolia, N. attenuata, or N. clevlandii. The name was also used for the sometimes cultivated N. rustica (Aztec Tobacco), which is called Mapacho in South America.

I don't think they went through a big curing process, just drying it like any other herb. N. obtusifolia is probably the most commonly used species and was propagated as far north as the Dakotas, by burning some brush to prepare a bed of ashes, then tossing down some seeds and forgetting about it for a year or more.

Archeologists have found rolled punche cigarettes made with corn husks, that predate Columbus, in the SW US.

Another p.c. smoke would be red osier dogwood bark (Cornus sericea). In the book Black Elk Speaks, the old Lakota is said to often smoke "red willow" at the beginning of almost any conversation. Red willow is a common misnomer for Cornus sericea.

I bought my pipe tobacco from a local cigar/pipe shop. They named the blend Mardi gras. It has a very pleasant taste to it, is mild and very dark tobacco. It's a bit hard to keep lit, but that's probably because I don't work too hard at it.

Bubbles...Nothing but bubbles.

h-armstrong-roberts-boy-blowing-bubbles-from-pipe-profile1_zpstgjh4mwg.jpg

That's very interesting. Thanks. I'd love to try some of those too.

I knew a guy who grew his own tobacco and got dizzy smoking it so stopped altogether.

My dad tried curing some tobacco in the kitchen once. We had to quit the house till the fumes dissipated -- no joke.

An old time tobacco, popular in the 19th century and stll available is Samuel Gawith's Cannon Plug.
Certainly not for everyone, people seem to either love it or hate it with little middle ground.
Extremely aromatic.

I'm not a tobacco person, as all it has ever done for me is make me dizzy, I have sampled a bit and can say the uncured Punche smells a lot like that other weed you might find common around college dorms and such. So you may get some strange looks while smoking it.

Another interesting tobacco, one I have never been around, is Iqmik, which is mainly a chewing tobacco mixed with the ash of a tree fungus. It has been in use in the Pacific NW since at least 1750:
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/nov2005.html

The particular fungus is also reportedly a good one for use as tinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
My parents were non-smokers but when a toddler, I spent too much time around relatives that smoked that I can't stand being around tobacco smoke. Howver, I don't think anything on earth smells as good as a tobacco shop. About as rare as fix-it shops these days. Forty years ago my grandfather gave me his empty borkum riff tins in which I would store things. A few years back I was looking for my college slide rule and opened a box with several of the tins. I opened one and the small was heavenly.

In my opinion the only thing that comes close to smelling as good as a tobacco shop is freshly ground coffee. Or when a can of coffee is opened for the first time. That aroma just makes me feel good. Yet, I can't stand the taste of coffee.

I'm a tea man. :v

In my opinion the only thing that comes close to smelling as good as a tobacco shop is freshly ground coffee. Or when a can of coffee is opened for the first time. That aroma just makes me feel good. Yet, I can't stand the taste of coffee.

I'm a tea man.

I was agreeing right up to the end. I like coffee! It's healthy...made from beans and it's like a cardio without the sweat :shocked2: :redface:

As for pipe tobacco, the only thing easily available here is Captain Black

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that many like it. My wife, daughter and son all like coffee (f you can call some of that flavored starbucks stuff coffee), but to me it's bitter and not very tasty. Unless I put in enough sugar and cream. But then, it's not coffee is it? LOL

I have a good selection of teas and enjoy them most during the cold months. During the summer I enjoy iced Lipton tea. Black tea no sugar or anything. It's just good at quenching my thirst.

Coffee just puts me in the latrine when I drink it. :haha: :grin:

I order my pipe tobacco from here top shelf place no junk. I usally order two or three of their custom blends and either smoke them by themself or mix them together. If you like a mild smoke try their #23 Golden Shag.

Flint311 said:

I'm a tea man.

I was agreeing right up to the end. I like coffee!

I agree with you guys 110%!!! ...except I like coffee (which smells better than it tastes) and only like lightly sweetened iced tea.

IowaShooter said:

I'm a tea man. :v

If I could only figure a way to keep bacon lit in my pipe.

Back