• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bamboo/cane

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
I've mentioned in past posts that I often use bamboo or cane to make my powder measures as well as containers for pre-measured shot loads. I had not connected to photobucket until recently so could not show examples. The bamboo is nice because one end already has a stopper and is relatively cheap for the amount of gear I can make out of a few 6 to 8 foot pieces bought at a craft store. A few cheap corks will stop the other end for containers, and if cut at an angle the powder measures pour nicely with a little bit of chamfering with a tapered half round file and some steel wool. As you can see, I leave a bit of overhang when I cut the end with the node left for a bottom so I can drill through the side for a leather thong to hang the measure.

Thanks for looking.

Lookin good :thumbsup: I use river cane that I cut myself for all of my measures. Its a tad lighter that antler

Well done. Cane is handy for quite a few things. I have a ball bag with a cane spout and a section of larger cane as a holder for needles and thread.

Spence

A ball bag with a cane spout. Great idea.

A few years back I made some crude buckshot by pouring hot lead into sections of river cane, which yield pencil-diameter lead "wire." Cut this into small pieces with a hatchet, then rolled between a rock and piece of steel plate. Result was not pretty, but I'd hate to be on the wrong end of a charge.

The end of the bamboo/cane, is the dark color burned/scorched and stained? I like the contrast in colors.

I can see some winter projects coming, I have a bunch of bamboo in the rafters of my barn.

I picked up the light brown with dark segment nodes at a local Michael's craft store years ago. The black stuff came pre dyed from another craft outlet but I forget which one.

I see different colors on your corks. Is that for different shot sizes or amounts, or to differentiate powder from shot, or something else?

Back