• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reloading in Field Conditions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hadden west said:
In my first question, I did not word it right. I am an experienced hunter with flintlock rifle, but not with a smoothbore using lead shot. I realize that quick and muzzleloading does not go together, but from a humane standpoint, I would like to reload in a reasonable time.

I like the way you have things organized. That is what I was looking for. You have everything well organized, and I really like your set-up
Thanks
Using loose components from a bag you should be able to load in less then a miniute. Making a loading board and a powder measure cut into a ball starter you can cut to a 1/2 a miniute. A cartridge will give you a 15 second load if you prime from the cartridge, and maybe as little as 11-12 seconds. You running through the loading process ain't going to make any difference. Unless it's a grizzly charging you. Then you pretty much toast. Otherwise don't take any quests be shot, don't hurry. Unless you blow out the brain it takes a bit to die, Evan machine gunned. Take your shot then relax. Don't take any questionable shot. It's better to not take a shot then take a poor one.

Great bag organization! I have mine organized "just right", too.

After the first shot I lean my rifle against a tree. Then using both hands, and some French words I've learned, I pull everything out of the bag to find my powder measure and fill it from the horn. The powder is emptied in to the bore. Then - depending on whether I use a patch or bare ball - the ball is picked up from the ground and the dirt and trash are brushed off the pre-lubed patch and the combo is seated. With bare ball it is pushed down the bore on top of a felt wad with a card wad on top.

I then search around until I find my priming horn (small) and prime the lock. With the gun leaning against a tree I can use both hands. The hunting bag is refilled with as many of my accessories as I can find. Quick and efficient, it rarely takes me more than 5 or 6 minutes to reload and I'm ready to go. I get so immersed in my fast reloading I sometimes forget why I'm in the woods, especially if I get sidetracked by a colony of morels. :idunno: :grin: :metoo:

Stumpkiller,

Thanks for the lesson. I was more interested in the process of making the cartridges than trying to shoot quickly.

I will keep using my fumbling method, I just target shoot and not hunt.

gg

hanshi said:
Great bag organization! I have mine organized "just right", too.

After the first shot I lean my rifle against a tree. Then using both hands, and some French words I've learned, I pull everything out of the bag to find my powder measure and fill it from the horn. The powder is emptied in to the bore. Then - depending on whether I use a patch or bare ball - the ball is picked up from the ground and the dirt and trash are brushed off the pre-lubed patch and the combo is seated. With bare ball it is pushed down the bore on top of a felt wad with a card wad on top.

I then search around until I find my priming horn (small) and prime the lock. With the gun leaning against a tree I can use both hands. The hunting bag is refilled with as many of my accessories as I can find. Quick and efficient, it rarely takes me more than 5 or 6 minutes to reload and I'm ready to go. I get so immersed in my fast reloading I sometimes forget why I'm in the woods, especially if I get sidetracked by a colony of morels. :idunno: :grin: :metoo:

Dang, Hanshi, that's what I do, too !!!

Except that you must have the method down pat ... I still take 8 or 9 minutes ...

ok, maybe a bit longer on those occasions when I knock my gun over .....

:rotf:

Seriously, I load as per usual ... don't see the need for more speed.

PS

At the range, I load from the hunting bag, not a box, so that my loading method in the woods is honed.

Seriously I generally shoot a bare ball "chewed". But your paper cartridges look interesting. I need to research that a bit. :hmm:

Good information. Everything from well organized, to total chaos. I might be able to work my way, somewhere in between, if I'm patient and lucky.

Dewey3 said:
PS

At the range, I load from the hunting bag, not a box, so that my loading method in the woods is honed.

That can't be emphasized enough. Bench shooting techniques will follow you right into the field if all you do is shoot with your stuffy laying on a bench beside you.

I got into an "interesting" situation with my shotgun. Around here most duck hunting is done with you laying flat on you back and something dragged over you for cover. Fine. Sit up and shoot, then reload. Meanwhile, all that loose stuff in your bag is prone to shifting around and even spilling while you're on your back.

One solution is to simply take the bag off and lay it beside you while you're prone. Just remember to pick it up if you go after a wounded bird.

I'm prone to a small shot snake with an Irish head, a small horn with measure safely stowed inside my bag, and loose wads sorted into an extra "lip along the top of the bag mouth. Not many- just enough for a couple of "quick" reloads. They get replaced as time allows from a container stashed down inside the bag.

Round balls? Not a single thing different than how I carry and load with barrels having those long scratches inside them. :wink:

Dewey3 said:
PS

That can't be emphasized enough. Bench shooting techniques will follow you right into the field if all you do is shoot with your stuffy laying on a bench beside you.

I got into an "interesting" situation with my shotgun. Around here most duck hunting is done with you laying flat on you back and something dragged over you for cover. Fine. Sit up and shoot, then reload. Meanwhile, all that loose stuff in your bag is prone to shifting around and even spilling while you're on your back.

One solution is to simply take the bag off and lay it beside you while you're prone. Just remember to pick it up if you go after a wounded bird.

I'm prone to a small shot snake with an Irish head, a small horn with measure safely stowed inside my bag, and loose wads sorted into an extra "lip along the top of the bag mouth. Not many- just enough for a couple of "quick" reloads. They get replaced as time allows from a container stashed down inside the bag.

Round balls? Not a single thing different than how I carry and load with barrels having those long scratches inside them. :wink:

BTW- My shotgun bag arrangement carries right over into the field for ptarmigan and snowshoe hare. I'd be proud to use it on quail and pheasants if they wandered the hills up here.

Im seeing a lot of "dont worry about speed" posts here.

Im younger than most here, but im willing to be i have near or more the hunting time than most when it comes to shotgun squirrel. Squirrels are tough. Shot is not a 100% instant death guarantee. If you havent felt the need to reload quickly while squirrel hunting you have either limited experience or are kidding yourself that "you missed" when really a wounded squirrel is in the tree tops.
I highly reccommend speed loaders and cartridges. Whichever you prefer. Just learn how to do it fast, and hope its not needed often. But it will be needed we owe it to our game to be ready for a very fast reload

No offense to anyone here, but thats just how i see it.

"
armymedic.2 said:
Im seeing a lot of "dont worry about speed" posts here."
I don't think that anyone here takes offense at your comments...
My Squirrel hunting shot reloads consist of...
-Powder from a 70 gr. flask spout
-Wad of newspaper (From a pre-torn strip)
-1 1/2 oz. of #5's rolled up in Kleenex (`5/8" diameter...Falls down a 12 gauge barrel)
-Wad of newspaper
- Cap/prime
-Bang!
20 seconds or so. Fast enough in my experience. I've played with cartridges and while they are faster, I generally don't bother.
If I'm more interested in collecting Squirrels than just enjoying a day in the woods, I use a 12 gauge SxS Cap gun. No faster reload than an extra barrel!

A lot depends on what you want from your second shot.

Speed loading gizmos or the aforementioned cartridges are about the best options for a reasonably accurate second shot.

If you need squirrel head shot accuracy maybe a smoothie is not you best choice in the first place but cut on the barrel or ball block would be my choice.

I am a turkey hunter, if the first shot does not put it down long enough to run up and step on it. The time for a second shot is a moot point. About the only follow up shot fast enough would be a second barrel.

Latest fast way. (Way faster than making cartridges)
Pull cork. Dump powder. Sit over barrel. Insert ramrod into tube. Push the whole lot through ( a olive oil was sealed with tallow on the top, shot, and a half unlubed fiber wad

Cant get this pic to post. Sorry! Steel tube with a cork in one end

Latest posts

Back