• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ardesa Hawken Woodsman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avancarguero

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello again, after making my presentation in the section I venture to ask you what you think about the rifle muzzleloader Ardesa Hawken Woodman 50 caliber, I think it makes Traditions Firearms and I read somewhere that their quality is not the best, without But in Spain in specialized forums users are happy with it. I hope your opinions and experiences with this weapon.

Thank You,

Avancarguero.

As I'm sure you know, Ardesa has been making the sidelock rifles and pistols that CVA imported into the US for years.

After CVA decided to stop importing the traditional style guns, Traditions took over the job of importing the Ardesa made guns.

Back in the 1970's, the Spanish made Ardesa muzzleloaders locks, stocks and set triggers left much to be desired in the quality of the materials used, the heat treatment of the steel parts and the general design.

In the 1980's many of these problems were fixed by Ardesa which made their guns still relatively inexpensive but reliable.

The barrels produced by them have always been good quality products that shoot well.

Over the years, I have owned the CVA Frontier and the CVA Hawken rifles.
Both were good shooters but I wasn't impressed with the wood they used for the stocks.

I currently own a CVA 12 guage double barrel shotgun. It was given to me by a neighbor and had been "built" by his father from a kit.

After totally refinishing it and correcting some of his inletting errors it turned out to be a very nice gun. I wish they were still being made and imported into the US.
9325409516_b9fc7a0da7_z.jpg

I personally do not own one but I have never heard anything bad about it. Traditions muzzleloaders offer a pretty good variety of different models. As long as you take good care of it and clean it after every time you use it, you should be fine. I personally am fond of the 50 caliber. I own 6 muzzleloaders in that caliber. Do you have easy access to roundball and powder where you live? Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Hello, thank you both for your answers. I'll probably buy one Ardesa Hawken Woodsman and leave me more comfortable with their answers. As for the availability of balls and bullets for muzzle-loading I think I will not have any problems, nor for certain types of gunpowder, although in Spain all such products is quite expensive.

Thanks again,

Avancarguero.

Just be sure it is really real black powder or an acceptable substitute made specifically to replace real black powder.
In the US, brands like Pyrodex and Seven7seven (both made by Hodgdon Powder Co. USA) work all right with a percussion type lock but real black powder works best.

As you may know, there are a large number of different smokeless powders that are colored black. They will turn a muzzleloading gun into a bomb so do not attempt to use any of them in your muzzleloader.

I understand that I must be careful not to load a muzzleloader with smokeless gunpowder? What I have in mind for I have seen videos on youtube and physical integrity of the shooter is very committed.

Another question: Can I use Pyrodex in one Ardesa Hawken Woodsman?? Or Is it dangerous???

Thanks

Avan.

Hello. I own a Traditions Springfield Hawken style muzzleloader. I have no idea how this model compares with the Woodsman but mine has been a very nice and dependable rifle. It has a 1:48 twist and with the right load, it literally drive tacks. I shoot patched roundballs out of it.I have been very happy with it and I agree, the .50 is a very useful caliber indeed.

Jeff

Use Pyrodex RS for your rifle.

Pyrodex is designed to be measured by the same volume measure as black powder (Scheutzen, KIK, Wano, Swiss). You will likely need the hottest percussion caps to reliably fire your rifle.

Pyrodex RS is safe when you use volume measurements.

Grenadier1758 said:
Use Pyrodex RS for your rifle.

Pyrodex is designed to be measured by the same volume measure as black powder (Scheutzen, KIK, Wano, Swiss). You will likely need the hottest percussion caps to reliably fire your rifle.

Pyrodex RS is safe when you use volume measurements.

Ok now I have to prove that in Spain is marketed and be legal. I see the muzzle-loading of first disbursement is an important but must be very satisfying shoot down an animal with such a traditional weapon.

Regards,

Avan.

I have used Pyrodex and had no issues. It shoots fine and always goes off as long as I do my part. Some people have troubles and I am not sure why. It does not work well in a flintlock but can be used as long as you add a little real BP to prime it with before you load the Pyrodex and use BP in the pan. It also helps to pop a couple caps in an empty barrel before you do your first load. It helps dry any oil residue and you first load should go off no problem.

Any BP substitute will be safe but some are designed and shoot better in an inline rifle.

O.k; Is better to use black power in classic rifles and Pyrodex in inline rifles. I think that in Spain is not sold Pyrodex so I take black powder.

Avan.

Real black powder is superior to most replicas including pyrodex. But pyrodex is often available where black powder is not. Since you have access to real black use it knowing you have the better of the two. :hmm:

Pyrodex works fine is a sidelock as long as it is not a flintlock. I was talking about some of the others like Blackhorn 209 or maybe 777. Some of those will still work in sidelocks but with more difficulty. There are others also out there. It seems like they are coming out with a new sub all the time.

Avancarguero
Even the poorest quality black powder is better than one of the synthetic black powders like Pyrodex.

If all you can get is real black powder, count your blessings. :)

I haven't seen anyone ask yet. what game do you plan/hope to hunt?

bubba.50 said:
I haven't seen anyone ask yet. what game do you plan/hope to hunt?

I intend to try to hunt boar in the night waiting mode and also when I had ability loading rifle, hunt boar in Monteria

Avan.

ohio ramrod said:
Real black powder is superior to most replicas including pyrodex. But pyrodex is often available where black powder is not. Since you have access to real black use it knowing you have the better of the two. :hmm:

These are the black powder that I can acquire:

http://a-izquierdo.es/es/806-polvora-negra

If I'm reading the attachment correctly, that looks to be about $35 per lb, give or take. Quite a bit more than most of us are used to paying. I can see why you would want to make every shot count.

Back