• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Shenandoah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poynor

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well here is my first kit gun. I had a blast building this rifle. Learned allot from this build got to get a few more tools together for the next one. That’s right I'm hooked. I wanted to also thank two gents that helped me along the way Crewdawg445 and 32 Cal was there any time I had a concern or issue.

Going to get it zeroed today any recommendations on a starting load. I want it to be a little hot for squirrels and just right for small pigs.

since you mentioned swine I would start at 45 grains prb myself. Squirrels would be easily taken with 15-20. Assume you are wanting a single load? 45 grains in a tree rat, anywhere but the head, is sport hunting only, no meat will be found, well....maybe a leg, maybe two if you only knick him! :shocked2:

I got to shoot my rifle and I love it. First I started out with 15 grains of fff and the gun shot great just wasn't sure if that load would be okay for small pigs so I bumped it up to 30 grains and that little rifle loved it. But that is a hot load for squirrels. So what to do I think? I think I'll keep the 30 grains load and hopefully just head shoot those squirrels. Any thoughts ?

with .36 and 30 gr I would not shoot small pigs. I would keep my hunting to medium pigletts. I have no pig hunting experience but per readings on them I would not want even a small pig angry with me, I would wanna be able to kick an angry piglett several yards as needed and would also make sure said piglett was not near its momma!

Should not matter for long, we all expect you will have a .45 next, then a .50, .54 and .58. It has happened? :blah:

I went backwards I have a 45 and a 50. Just wanted a squirrel gun with the ability so shoot small pigs hopefully in the next week or so I'll make it happen.

Are you planning to simultaneously hunt squirrels and pigs? If not, why not work up a separate load for each?

-GB

:nono: one can know for sure when ones load is for a tree rat a piggy will wonder slowly by and when ones loaded for piggy a tree rat will chatter away :nono:

I would like a .410 caliber smoothbore and a .36 or .32 rifled side by side. Have a .20 ga, maybe I will get some RB and see how t does with that? Likely back to kentucky windage for the RB huh?

Yep that's it!!!!! setting under a over cup oak both pigs and squirrels wearing them out at least that's how it was this year if I wanted to kill squirrels I would take a 22 and if I wanted pigs I would that 06 but I also killed a pig with a 22 about a 50 pounder so it is possible to do with small caliber keep shots really close and head shoot them. I let several pigs walk.

Pal....im glad I was able to give you alittle help with yours.....maybe one day I will make it to Ga pig hunting....

Back