• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first build.. a Southern Mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started this build in May and with the help of a good friend have almost completed it. I copied it from an original that my friend had due to the fact that I really like the architecture.The butt plate is from the original, the barrel is a Douglas 40 inch 40 cal. The lock is a late Ketland from Chambers. Front sights, lockplate, toe plate and the rear sights are all hand made. I've never seen another like this and really like the way it shoulders.. I'll try and get more pictures soon. Any comments are welcome..keep in mind this is my first build..so go easy fellers! http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l610/fourwheelhorseman1/1022141827.jpg http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l610/fourwheelhorseman1/0930141805a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly don't have the knowledge to critique you, but I love southern guns, and like what I am seeing so far.

I had to add another bolt for the lock plate and just used a larger washer as a backplate. The pictures aren't that great.The rifle looks alot better in person Nechii refresh my memory on how you done that with my pictures... and thanks for doing so.. :thumbsup:

From what I can see of the 2nd picture, quite a bit of wood needs to come off the left side lock panel yet. The top of the left side plate should be eve with the edge of the top edge of the vertical barrel flat, and the top of the lock panel only maybe 1/16" or so above that. The edges where it blends in to the stock are a bit square too. Try using your 8" half round files and rasps for the contour and see how you like the sweep, and adjust from there. Lock panels should appear to grow out of the stock rather than be applied to it.

Basically, keep taking off more wood until there doesn't seem to be any more that can come off.

Start your breech contour in to the wrist about 1/8" on to the top flat of the barrel to avoid the dreaded "wrist hump". So go at it with a file. The tang only needs to be about 1/8" thick to do its' job. Your wrist still seems quite thick to me.

My first build was a southern rifle as well. The big deal with these guns is to take off wood till you're scared, then take off more :grin: these guns are known for their graceful appearance, so don't be afraid to take wood off. A mistake that I made with mine (one of many) was to make the angle of the wood parallel to the tang too flat. It should slope down so that your lock panels can be somewhere aligned with the vertical barrel flats-you may need to tighten up your lock panels to do so. I agree that the wrist is still a little thick, so I would take that down quite a bit. Overall, you are off to a great start and you going about this the right way and asking for advice before the gun is finished, unlike me. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

You did a fine job.....and, excellent ageing that wood!
Great 1st start, I'd like to see a close up of those sights too!

Marc n tomtom

What lovely and interesting architecture on that rifle. That's a job well done. Congratulations! :hatsoff:

Back