• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to clean brass powder measure & funnel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kennyc said:
I do not have any brass stuff all of mine are wood or antler If I did would not waste my time. Rather spend my time with my grandkids

In all sincerity why would you post something like this? It doesn't address the question and (given your way of thinking) it takes time away from your grandchildren.

trent/OH said:
As a range safety officer, I make a point to watch for shiny brass doodads. It almost always indicates a new muzzleloading shooter. While I keep a closer eye on them for safety concerns, I also keep an eye on them because a new shooter may need a little help and if I can't help, I can often ask a seasoned shooter to mentor them a little.
A shooter who gets frustrated and quits is of no use (and may be counterproductive)to this hobby of ours.

Wow, that's really different. I know very experienced BP shooters who keep their kits pristine and polished. I also know some that looks as if their kits have been enveloped by BP smog and crud.

As an RSO I look for how people actually comport themselves and not if they keep their kits tidy.

CalGunner said:
trent/OH said:
As a range safety officer, I make a point to watch for shiny brass doodads. It almost always indicates a new muzzleloading shooter. While I keep a closer eye on them for safety concerns, I also keep an eye on them because a new shooter may need a little help and if I can't help, I can often ask a seasoned shooter to mentor them a little.
A shooter who gets frustrated and quits is of no use (and may be counterproductive)to this hobby of ours.

Wow, that's really different. I know very experienced BP shooters who keep their kits pristine and polished. I also know some that looks as if their kits have been enveloped by BP smog and crud.

As an RSO I look for how people actually comport themselves and not if they keep their kits tidy.
BINGO!

Rifleman1776 said:
My answer is, don't clean. To me, there is a beauty in items that look like they have been used. None of my brass items look shiny. However, in my eye they 'shine'. :grin:
If there was a bet and a time machine to settle it, I would bet lots of shooters kept ther brass shinny in the old days. Howsomever old tarnised brass looks best to my eyes. I let it all tarnish naturaly and have it showroom shinny the fist time I use it, now take pride in 20-30 year old almost black brass that carries the memories with in. In the dull color I see camps and frieds long gone smiling and lauphing again.

CalGunner said:
trent/OH said:

imagesFTO5RSZY_zps9964a838.jpg

CalGunner said:
Kennyc said:
I do not have any brass stuff all of mine are wood or antler If I did would not waste my time. Rather spend my time with my grandkids

In all sincerity why would you post something like this? It doesn't address the question and (given your way of thinking) it takes time away from your grandchildren.

And neither do either of your posts address the O.P.'s question.

Bejamin, everyone's tastes for brass finish are different, as you can see. I prefer it darkened but can't stand that thick sticky green stuff on it. Clean and polish it to a state that makes YOU happy. The brass tumbler for reloaders isn't a bad idea, if you have one, for cleaning. It can be further hand polished and shined from there. I'd say use any of the cleaning ideas here, but go slow and non aggressive, might find a point of polish prior to mirror bright that suits you.

Brokennock said:
CalGunner said:
Kennyc said:

And neither do either of your posts address the O.P.'s question.

Bejamin, everyone's tastes for brass finish are different, as you can see. I prefer it darkened but can't stand that thick sticky green stuff on it. Clean and polish it to a state that makes YOU happy. The brass tumbler for reloaders isn't a bad idea, if you have one, for cleaning. It can be further hand polished and shined from there. I'd say use any of the cleaning ideas here, but go slow and non aggressive, might find a point of polish prior to mirror bright that suits you.

That's because they weren't meant to. They were addressing posts other than the posting that started this thread.

This is really remarkable. Someone asked a question and more than one felt the need to pat themselves on their backs rather than try to answer the question or simply pass over it.

CalGunner said:

You went from a muzzleloading newbie to an RSO in 5 months? :shocked2:

Wow, that's really different.

With your positive comments and constructive criticism......
Maybe they should ban guns in California. :youcrazy:

0000 steel wool works pretty good too. Can't get in to the places if there are any though. (such as a Colt Pocket Model Revolver flash with an eagle stamped on it)

Bejamin said:
I recently received a brass powder measure and a nice brass funnel with a wooden handle in a old box of BP gear. Both pieces have a lot of black BP residue on them and a bit of verdigris.

What's the easiest way to clean them? It would be nice to be able to soak them (possibly in vinegar?), then wash and Flitz them nice and shiny. Any ideas?

My following is based on that the items are indeed old and not of recent manufacture.

I think some are confusing having Patina with not being clean.

I would just use a toothbrush and something like #13 to remove the BP residue and green verdigris and try to leave any natural patina on the item.

To me, using polishes on old patina brass items would be like taking steel wool to a nice browned barrel

"Shining" up any old or antique item is never a good idea.

I usually use 0000 steel wool and what ever metal polish I have laying around. Brasso works pretty good. You will never keep brass shiny from one year to the next. :wink:

For really crudded up brass or copper, Bar Keeper's Friend works great. It's like a scouring powder, works on metal as well as other surfaces. In grocery or hardware stores with other cleaning products.

Next time you clean your rifle, save the patches, or better yet, the water your flushed your barrel with.

Shine all your brass stuff to a high polish, then degrease to remove any oils or waxes from polishing media.

Bring the fouled water to a boil and immerse your brass items.

The results are an even tarnish that will resist further tarnishing and corrosion much the same way bluing or browning resists rusting for steel.

Wipe down with Barricade and call it good.

Copper and Copper Alloys
Copper and its alloys are generally corrosion resistant, although the products of corrosive attack on copper are commonly known. Sometimes copper or copper alloy surfaces will tarnish to a gray-green color, while the surface will remain relatively smooth. This discoloration is the result of the formation of a fine-grained, airtight copper oxide crust, called a patina. Patina offers good protection for the underlying metal in ordinary situations. However, exposure of copper alloys to moisture or salt spray will cause the formation of blue or green salts called verdigris. The presence of verdigris indicates active corrosion

Hot soapy dish soap and water. after U remove the holy black use a little braso to get the green off.

Back