• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I think I have a House rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess69

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I live near Horn In the West, an outdoor drama in Boone NC. I was in the show for several years and still try to help out. Several years ago(2003?) a fellow donated, what I think, is a very fine rifle. Story was he was a doctor and needed a tax write-off. It resembles, very closely, Mel Gibson's primary rifle from "The Patriot". I understand from research that one of the House brothers made some of the guns for that movie. They decided to raffle the gun off with a one year raffle. I ended up with a ticket and somehow won the thing!
I would prefer to authenticate the gun, but have no idea how to. I have looked for info on the House brothers and found a ton. But no way to contact them. I would welcome any information that is out there.

Thank you!

Sidenote: I was an extra in The Patriot for the Battle of Cowpens. The first day I was there I was in full Wool outfit with a reproduction Charleville(sp?). I made sure to be closer to the end of the dress line after that to get some cooler clothing and a rubber gun! Paid good though.

Post some pics of the rifle and Im sure someone can tell you if it is a house gun. It should have a name on the barrel.

I'd do a backflip if I won a Hershel or Frank House rifle, and while some more knowledgeable members might have a better idea I think I'd join the CLA and go to their show, I understand they both attend and are approachable there. Best of luck to you and pictures would be nice.

Post up some pictures, very luck guy to have a good flintlock...Hopefully you plan to hunt with her, put her to good use...

I believe Frank was the one who made Mel's rifle...During the movie, I told the wife that he was carrying a Herschel House rifle but in the credits it said Frank...

(iirc) Frank had to make two rifles...Hollywood normally has at least two of every prop in case of problems, etc... and one of them went to Mr. Gibson, the other was raffled. They were made-to-order of the producer, not historic purposes...BUT they are still "House" rifles.

:thumbsup:

LD

I will try to get some pics on here. There are no markings on the gun, not even a caliber stamp on the barrel. Well there is a "CM" engraved on the patchbox cover. Thanks

I've seen a bunch of House Brothers made guns over the last 40+ years and all were prominently marked on the barrel by the maker so I doubt it's a House gun. On the other hand there are several other makers of the Woodbury School that have been trained by the house brothers and their rifles have that "Look". Pictures would help and you should pull the barrel and see if there are any markings there.

I wonder if you could take some of the still photos from the movie that showed the gun up close and do a comparison of the striping patterns and grain of the wood. Like fingerprints, no two pieces are exactly alike, and that is particularly true with highly figured wood.

This is what the House barrel signature looks like. This particular barrel is a one-of-a-kind rifle with all three brothers represented.

art1_a.jpg

http://enquirer.com/columns/mcgurk/2000/06/25/mm_artists_armed_the.html

Frank [House] worked 14-hour days for 10 weeks to build pieces for the film.

The biggest job was the .50-caliber rifle. He also made a prop gun from a kit.

“In the 18th century, there were only so many ways to show your prosperity,” Frank said. “Your land and the house where you lived. Horses. And guns.”

Guns, like furniture, changed styles every few years. Well-heeled landowners like the character Mr. Gibson plays would trade up for the newest and best firearms available, Frank said.

The weapon was also modeled on the styles that dominated the Tidewater region of the Carolinas, where British influence held sway. That meant he stuck with understated ornamentation typical of the period. “We didn't gaudy it up,” Frank said. “It's just a fine rifle.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Stumpkiller! I have sat here in front of the computer with this rifle across my knees looking at sites and pictures. Just frustrating that there are no markings. I got pics I will try to get on here tonight.

I owned one at one time and let it go like a dumb**s. Will tell the stories and post pictures later tonight. My avatar is the patch box.

Stumpkiller said:
In my opinion that is not a Frank House rifle; but without marks it is hard to say who the maker was. Looks to be pretty good work.

I Agree.
It's a very nice rifle but it has some slight architecture flaws that I would not expect on a House rifle.

A beauty! But mine is obviously not a House rifle. Thanks for all the input.

here is one i bought off a local sales forum. the guy had it listed but said no markings on it. Well i looked at it for a couple days for 550 and decided to make him an offer for 450, he said yes. Well i thought i had messed up but i could tell from the one picture he sent it looked like something special, so i called him. I asked him if he was sure it had nothing wrote on it, he said well actually it has a name on the barrel H HOUSE. Liked to passed out :bull: but told him i was on my way at left the house at 7 at night for an hour and half drive just to see if this was real. Got there guy pulled up in an old truck and had rifle laying in the bed of his truck, said his dad had died and had it hanging over the fireplace for 20 years or more and had never shot it he knew of. I paid that cat and headed home waiting for the swat team to ram my car at any time.lol
well i kept it for about 6 months and shot it several times, but i like to make my own guns and got to thinking of what this thing might sell for so i contacted track of the wolf and seen if thew were interested. Boxed it up and insured for 5000 through the local post office. About 4 days later wolf calls me to tell me the gun looked like it had been threw off a building and was broke in the wrist. They offered to send it back or make me an offer.I said make offer, they did and i took it, wish i had just took gun back and fixed it. Here are pictures...before and after break.

Back