• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Early 18th Century Smoothbore Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Olson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm new here.

I am trying to get information on several things here and could probably use some of your help.

For one, I am interested in acquiring a period-accurate smoothbore from the 1680s-1730s. I am virtually clueless on styles of this period. That being said, I believe the Flintlock Fusil was popular in this date range. Is this a correct assertion?

Secondly, I won't have the financial means to acquire a nice flintlock from a good craftsman for some time. However, this has not stopped me from window shopping. Most of the American artisans I find that make flintlocks seem to specialize in much later firearms that go beyond my date range (such as the Kentucky rifle). My question is; will most of these gunsmiths also make other flintlocks like the Fusil if requested? Also, many seem to make some pretty fancy weapons. All I want is a bare-bones smoothbore flintlock that is as period accurate to the 1680s-1730s as possible (without the use of 100% hand forged parts... somehow I doubt I'll have the patience to save up that much money).

Lastly, I would like to discuss realistic price ranges for a bare bones flintlock smoothbores made by an individual craftsman (as opposed to a company like Davide-Pedersoli or some cheap overseas manufacturer). It'll be some time before I have the money to splurge on a nice gun, given that I'm a full time student with pretty much no income. That being said, of course, I'd like to have something to shoot for.

I think that's it (for now). Any help I could get on this would be much appreciated.

For the time period you're looking at the only low cost guns I know of are some of the Indian made arms from Loyalist Arms or Middlesex Village trading co. Any custom made by a craftsman here in the states you're talking about $1200+. If you can afford that then I recommend an Early English trade gun from Northstar West. http://northstarwest.com/early_english.aspx
If not then from what I've read Loyalist Arms is about the best bet for an India made piece. They have several models from that time period.
http://www.loyalistarms.ca/muskets.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Also keep an eye out for TOTW's flintlock page. They get some very interesting early 18th century builds. They will be a bit pricey and you better be ready to commit on the spot. Those types seldom last a day or two. Basically what you're looking for in your stated time period are the early type flintlock guns, now called "Early English" lock types. Some early pre-Brown Bess type muskets MAY have been available due to the War of Spanish Secession going on in Europe and it's over flow to the colonies but I doubt many were in colonial hands. The main problem seems to be now that few guns of that era have been identified as being in the colonies. Even some of the major European armies still had matchlocks in service, at least at the beginning of the time span you mention. Good luck and happy hunting!

This will give you a basic idea of stock architecture and lock design, it is an Indian made gun on TOTW's site.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/imgPart/aal-558_1.jpg
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/imgPart/aal-558_5.jpg

Roy,

I am also interested in the earlier half of the 18th century and decided on a fusil as well, I ordered mine from TVM back in May, they offer a real nice French inspired fusil in the mid-range price wise - without going full out custom ($$). You can choose what kind of wood you'd like it stocked in, whether brass or steel mounted, what lock and side plate you'd like. They ordered a 46" barrel for me, compared to their standard 42". I had a real good experience with them anyways, and based on that I would recommend them.
http://www.tennesseevalleymuzzleloading.com

Personally, I wouldn't be found within 30 yards of an Indian barrel. Though cheaper and some have had success with them, they are just too inconsistent for me to be comfortable firing one. I also think they are kind of unsightly; the rosewood and overly shiney metal finishings are too off-putting, not too mention the overall bulkiness of them from what should otherwise be a slim, elegant piece. There is a reason why they are so cheap!

But to each their own, I will never pooh-pooh anyone who buys or uses an Indian made flintlock. Money does not grow on trees - but if one can save up for a $700 piece surely they can wait an extra few months for something more worthwhile. There are a lot of real nice gunsmiths out there!

That's my $.02

If you are talking 17th to early 18th century I would strongly recommend a Leonard Day gun. My Dutch trade gun is the best value I have ever encountered in muzzleloading, it cost barely more than an Indian made gun and the quality is first rate.

Thanks everyone for your replies. This is immensely helpful, I feel I have a better understanding of the market already. A few things:

Price isn't a really big issue for me, I don't mind saving.

Of all your suggestions Cheape's suggestion of the Fusil by Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading sounds the most intriguing to me. Since their prices don't seem to be up on their website (and I don't think I should contact them since I won't be giving them business for some time), might I ask how much you paid for yours? If not I guess I could just order their catalog.

In response to Trot: I am intrigued by this Leonard Day, but I guess he doesn't have a website, eh? Other than that I saw a video of somebody reviewing one of his flintlocks and I was impressed.

Roy,

I paid around 1250 minus shipping, that is including their upgrade to walnut stock, and a small fee I believe for the barrel upgrade due to it's length. Mine will also be all stocked in steel which they will lower the price for if you opt out of the brass.

But as I said, they have changed their prices, hopefully not by too much, I would say expect a couple hundred extra, perhaps. Also, TVMs fusil is more of a French inspired fusil than any specific model. If you are looking for 100% historically correct piece, you may have to spend a bit more on a gunsmith who is capable of doing that.

Check out TVMs Facebook page pictures, they will give you a good idea of what they can put out, they just recently put up a maple stocked fusil that looks rather nice, they call it the "Tulle", even though Tulle produced many different kinds of long arms.
https://www.facebook.com/TennesseeValleyMuzzleloading

Ah, 1300-2000 isn't bad. I don't particularly care whether it is or isn't modeled exactly after a known Fusil. Thanks for showing me the Facebook page.

If anybody else has any info on makers who might be more capable of accurately replicating a known specimen from the time period let me know, because I'd be interested in that.

But as of right now these Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading people look pretty good.

Again thanks Cheape.

I got my Leonard Day gun about five years ago, no website, I had to call him. I chose to go with Mr. Day because he produced some of the most historically accurate early guns. I am not sure if he is still building or not, at that time my gun cost $875 and I would have been pleased at double the price.

Trot:

Thanks for the info. No doubt his prices have likely gone up in the past five years. When I've saved enough I'll make a point to see if he's still in business.

Thanks nhmoose for the suggestion. Won't have the cash to buy a gun in a while, but I'd never heard of the snaphaunce before so thanks for bringing that to my attention. I like those earlier flintlock types.

Also, I have another question for all of you guys. If I where to buy a Fusil kit from Track of the Wolf, could I get a gunmaker to put it together for me? I like the earlier type C fusils, and this kit caught my eye.

Thanks.

Back