• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Those who have black bear hunted?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan Grotheer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Getting ready to do a hunt in Maine this fall. I'll be predominately bow hunting but the guide also suggested that I bring my blackpowder in case we don't have any success a few days into the hunt to extend my range.
So I'll be bringing my .54 renegade and I have my Great Plains conicals(I think they weigh 430grs.) sighted in at 50 yds with 85grs of 2f.. I will probably push it to 90 or 95 grs. I thinky set up will be more than adequate, But what is your alls experience with trailing a bear and performance from your rifle?

If the idea is to extend your range, re-sight your gun in at 100 yards or more. 50 yards is doable with a good archer with lots of practice.

They hunt Black Bear over baits from an elevated tree stand,, shot's are seldom over 50yrds.
In the productive Bear areas of Minn the September season still has heavy foliage (heavy foliage) baits are many times within 20yrds.

Bears can seldom run as far as deer, I think they have proportionately smaller lungs. That's why they tree when chased by dogs. The point being that a 150-200 pound bear isn't much harder to kill than a big buck. Bigger bears obviously are harder. IAE your firearm is more than up to the task.
If there is no snow your biggest issue is FINDING THE BEAR, fat can plug up holes and leave no blood. Look for kicked over twigs and stones (damp ground where they were lying) or broken off twigs- bears run like a locomotive through the woods snapping the underbrush. Ask your guide about it. I am pretty sure dogs are legal in Maine, if a tracking dog is available, Big Help. Have a cell phone, call the guide if you made a kill and have him bring the dog for tracking.
Don't fret too much, a lot of bears die about 20 yards from being shot. The last bear I shot turned and ran 20 yards. They sort of give a "death moan" listen for that.
If you are on a stand it is a good idea to make a mental picture of how high surrounding objects are and then compare that with any bear that shows up. Small bears have big ears, big bears have little stubby ears and sort of a "hog nose". Ask your guide about this as well.
Marshmallows. MASHMALLOWS??? Okay it seems really low grade but some bears come into a bait and then "hang up" in the underbrush. You can't get a clear shot. If you put some marshmallows about 3 feet apart on the likely trails going into the bait that often brings them in. Just don't ever tell anyone you did it.
PS: If you have skunk essence on your boots as a cover scent, don't walk directly to your tree stand. The guides tell this but most folks don't pay attention. A bear crossing your trail into the stand may pick up the essence and follow that and to the tree you are in and then start climbing the tree. If you are a bow hunter you cannot shoot straight down because the arrow can't stay on the rest. SO....walk over toward the bait FIRST so the bear goes there and then to the tree stand.
And...bears have a great sense of smell, I'd think about packing my clothes and boots in a leaf bag with some natural materials (pine needles) and have three changes of clothes and wash clothes after each hunt. Put your boots on at the hunt site, don't wear them in the vehicle.

Cool. I didn't expect this many replies so soon. I'm pretty competent of killing on at 50 yds with my "wheel" bow but I do intend on sighting in the renegade at 100. That's my biggest concern is blood trailing on the off chance the initial hit doesn't knock his lights out.

Black bear don't require any more knock down or even bow weight than an average deer. They do have smaller lungs than deer, and shot placement is more critical. I've shot completely through good boars with 45# longbows, and saw the bears go down in sight.

Don't freak out if a bear comes over to your tree for a look at you, or even climbs the tree. Happens to me a lot. Just tap your foot when he gets too close, and he will back off. Only real problem I ever had was when another bear chased a cub up my tree, and the little guy was actually above me with the sow down at the base of my tree. She wasn't too happy about it, but the cub finally climbed down the back side of the tree.

You'll find in the state of Maine that some bow stands are set up for very close shots.

My .50 cal TC Hawken shooting a patched round ball over 70 gr of FFFG passes straight through a good sized blackie!

crockett said:
bears run like a locomotive through the woods snapping the underbrush. They sort of give a "death moan" listen for that.

To Korde
I didn't hear a sound as the bears I saw approached the bait, but the one I spooked, and the one I shot were as described above. Lots of noise, I couldn't see him, but was able to track the noise quite accurately. So if you shoot one, pay close attention to the noise it makes, you should hear it crash, and hear its death moan. Mine sounded like it was gasping for air, 3 very loud gasps, then silence.

I used my 20 ga. trade gun, 75 gr. fffg and patched round ball. Stand was 20 yards from bait, bear went about 50 yards. Never saw one drop of blood until right where he piled up.

Good luck on your hunt.

Hunted the paper forests in the Moscow region of Maine. Coursed thru the ravines and rocks until the dogs picked up a fresh scent, turned a few loose, and then chased....and chased! Develop your stamina before you go if you plan to run the bear with dogs. I did, and even so, my .54 GPR got to feeling like a 50# barbell. Contrary to whats been said, the bruins we jumped were very fast, long winded and clever.
Even as we approached the treed bear with caution, he would jump out of the tree, tangle some with the dogs and race on before a certain shot was possible. What ultimately paid off was out maneuvering the bear; which is to say getting to a position where he is expected to pass.
Pretty exciting, all-in-all.
Good luck

If your hunting overactive bait sites set up for a bow most guides put the bait about 15 yards from the stand. I have never shot a bear past 20 yards ever myself. If your goal is to shoot one with a bow make your guide work for you and get you on a bear and not settle for using a muzzleloader. That is just me talking though. But your set up with the smoke pole is more than enough.

Have taken two black bears with my 50 cal flinter round ball through the lungs. broke far leg on one. One was 50 yards the other close to 80yards that ball was under the skin on the far side.
Load was 90 grains FFG for both Patched round ball.

I hunted black bear in Ontario from a tree stand. I wanted to take a bear with a gun I made, so I was using a .45 flinter. I shot the bear at about 15yds. The boar turned and stumbled about ten yards toward the stand and dropped. He sang his death song while I reloaded. I was very cautious about descending , but he was done for. He lost a lot of blood while we carried him to the boat ( no roads). I don't know about the damage because the guide dressed him at the butcher. They are very paranoid about the gall bladder. I used 80 grain fffg with a 130 grain round ball. He weighed about 200 lbs. Good luck .

Oh wow.. Didn't know that you couldn't bait in Arkansas.. Me and a friend have been looking to hunt this next year.. Huh..

I'm pretty excited about this hunt. Seems like a good guide. Definitely hoping to use the bow but a good picture with a smoke pole and a bear coupled with a rug would suit me fine :)

I heard bear meat isn't too bad?

Korde said:

My bear weighed 200 pounds and was about 4 years old. Meat is tender and very good. I had bear meat before, many years ago, but did not remember what it tasted like. When I got mine I did not know what to expect, but expected it would be a very strong flavor. Turned out to be very mild, and tender. Don't know how a big old one would be.

Korde:
Don't sight your rifle in for 100 yards! Bear stands in Maine will be 15-25 yards for bow use and 20-35 yards for rifle.
You don't need more than 70 grains of powder. I have killed a few with .50,.54 and .62 all effective. They are thin skinned but heavy boned, so take a double lung and listen for the death moan! Head shots are possible if you are calm. Watch which way they run, they will cover ground fast. Don't take any other shot than heart lung or head and take a shot with it from 15 feet up at home because a bullet will rise a bit due to the angle.
I would leave the bow home, this may be the last year to hunt them in Maine.
Where will you be hunting and what week?
Nit Wit

That is one meat I have never had opportunity to try. Want to. I have "heard" the full spectrum from the worst to the best. Personally... :idunno: , dunno.
But, we have a lady who lives in our county that has been on the Arkansas PBS TV station for many years doing cooking shows with wild game. She is a great cook and fine person. She told me if I ever kill a bear to bring a big hunk of the meat to her house and she will show me how to make a roast from it. That's an offer I can't refuse if I get the opportunity.

Back