• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Miroku Brown Bess help needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have acquired one of the old Miroku Brown Bess
from years ago. It is in excellent condition
but would like to get a worm for the ramrod.
Looks like a 12-24 pitch according to my thread
checker. Anyone have a source for such a size.
All I have found so far are 8-32 or 10-32.
Any help would be appreciated.

I would just drill out the hole in a full size repro worn with a Number # 17 twist drill and re-tap the hole for 12 x 24. IF it really is that thread and not a metric thread. I think it would be a metric thread, though.

Back in the 90's when the repro .69 cal. M1842 muskets first came out, no one made a worm for them in the metric thread of the rammers. Original .69 cal. worms were still fairly cheap, so I just drilled and re-tapped them for the metric threaded rammers. I did it with a hand drill and going at a rather slow speed with lots of oil on the twist drill bit.

Gus

check contemporary longrifle ass. site there are makers who can make a worm in ant thread for you

It is customary to rethread the ramrod... It is REALLY close to one of the common worms already.

For what ever it is worth, in my experience with NSSA shooters and Reenactors in both Flint and Percussion guns with rammers with metric threads - it was better for more people to rethread the worms. I have seen a LOT of rammers where they screwed up the rammer threads when trying to re-thread them.

Gus

Thanks for all the replies---I have been given several options
To choose from and this help is appreciated!

In the meantime, Make up a toggle and string for cleaning it and get out there and make some smoke :hatsoff:

I used 12 gauge shotgun cleaning tools on my Italian Bess, they work just fine even though the bore is .750". I added another section to an aluminum shotgun cleaning rod and use a Chevy smallblock V8 valve retainer as a bore guide. The handle on a shotgun cleaning rod is fixed as opposed to a rifle which swivels.

The 12-24 model 1817 worm mentioned by KH worked
Perfectly without modification. Thanks for all the other
Suggestions some of which I may be able to use on other
Guns!,

Hello,
You need to call Dixie Gun Works
that was who they were made for,that
is where I got my cleaning jag and worm
from but it's been a while ago.
Hope this helps.
TAC2.

and don't use a nylon bore brush :doh: don't ask me why I know,,,,But do a search for a tornado brush in 12 gauge :thumbsup: ....works like a charm

Is there any reason you went with the .69 cal. worm instead of the cheaper .75 cal. worm for your .75 cal. bess or is it 12 gauge ?

Who said anything about a nylon brush not me . I
got was saying that Dixie Gun Works sold those
Bess muskets back in the 70's and 80's and that is where I got my cleaning jag and worm in 75cal.
THANK YOU....

Back