• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cream of wheat/cornbread muffin mix

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a wad, yes, I would think so. People use such all the time particularly for revolvers.

Personally I'd suggest grits; help improve them thar chidren's I.Q. one shot at a time.

Cream of Wheat, or Grits, have often been used as a filler beneath shot or a ball in both rifles and smoothbores.

Jiffy brand cornbread muffin mix has been reported to create tighter shot groups when mixed in an equal volume with shot, and fired from a smoothbore. One theory is that the sugar in the mix helps to bind the shot together for a split second longer as the shot exits the muzzle, thus giving better groups... this theory is unconfirmed, and whether or not the groups are sufficiently tighter as a rule, or from specific barrels, is still unconfirmed.

Some people do like it to use it, however.

LD

Lads,
If one was to add one well beaten egg ( read the instructions) to the mix, :stir: One could be assured of a much tighter pattern :haha:

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

Just the right mix of Crisco and bees wax ought to do the job. Soft enough to release the shot when it exits the bore but hard enough to hold it into a nice pattern. You may have to tinker with finding the right mix.

This afternoon I decided to do a little testing. I tried
Shotgun loads using:
Ӣ corn meal mixed in the shot as a buffer
Ӣ corn meal under the shot load
Ӣ no corn meal
Ӣ a Zonie type paper shot cup
Ӣ a tow ball under the shot
All loads had the same powder load, leather OP wad (except the tow ball load), shot and OS card.
Upon visual appearance of the targets the tightest group was the Zonie shot cup.
The worst was the corn meal mixed with the shot as a buffer.

When I judged the targets by counting the number of pellets in a 6 inch circle, centered on the middle of the target; the result charged slightly.
The most pellets were a tie with the Zonie shot cup and cornmeal under the shot load having the most.
Tow wadding and nothing but shot and a leather OP wad came in a very close second.
The worst load in both tests was the corn meal used as a buffer load.
Distance was 23 yrds and I only had time to fire one shot per load.
I should note that there was one caveat.
Testing used Black MZ powder, a 12 gauge single shot, had a modified choke and used BB size shot.
These are just my results from a limited test.

colorado clyde said:
This afternoon I decided to do a little testing. I tried
Shotgun loads using:
Ӣ corn meal mixed in the shot as a buffer
Ӣ corn meal under the shot load
Ӣ no corn meal
Ӣ a Zonie type paper shot cup
Ӣ a tow ball under the shot
All loads had the same powder load, leather OP wad (except the tow ball load), shot and OS card.
Upon visual appearance of the targets the tightest group was the Zonie shot cup.
The worst was the corn meal mixed with the shot as a buffer.

When I judged the targets by counting the number of pellets in a 6 inch circle, centered on the middle of the target; the result charged slightly.
The most pellets were a tie with the Zonie shot cup and cornmeal under the shot load having the most.
Tow wadding and nothing but shot and a leather OP wad came in a very close second.
The worst load in both tests was the corn meal used as a buffer load.
Distance was 23 yrds and I only had time to fire one shot per load.
I should note that there was one caveat.
Testing used Black MZ powder, a 12 gauge single shot, had a modified choke and used BB size shot.
These are just my results from a limited test.

Correction to the above post, I mixed my moderators. The Zonie shot cups are actually Stumpkiller shot cups.
Sorry for the confusion :redface:

I was kinda wondering about that. :hmm:

I've heard about alcoholics that gave up on a "shot glass" and decided a "shot cup" would be more to their liking but I never tried it myself so I can't claim to have invented the "8 ounce shot cup".

Then, there was the black cup with gold writing on it saying
331-500
BOEING 777.

I got that because of my role in designing the Auxiliary Power Unit for the Boeing 777.

The damn cat walking along the counter knocked it off and when it hit the floor it shattered into a thousand pieces. I guess that might be considered a "shot cup" but at the time I didn't appreciate it for becoming famous and getting mentioned in the MLF.

As the shot cup was being talked about like it was something wonderful, I figured I'd just keep my mouth shut and take credit for it, due or not. :grin:

Now that the cat is out of the bag I guess I'll have to make a disclaimer.

I, Zonie, have never made a "shot cup" for use in a shotgun.

There. I feel so warm and bubbly now I think I'll see if I can find that 8 ounce "shot cup". :shocked2:
It must be around here somewhere.

When my mother-in-law brought her daughter from rural Tennessee to Michigan State Univ in 1968, her parting advice was, "You be careful child. These yankees put sugar in the cornbread"

In my .56 smoothbore I have found that corn meal and the like work well over powder. Never tried it mixed in with the shot and considering the test the other member did not worth the time. And I would never ruin good grits by throwing them down range, regardless of what that fool Alden says. :blah:

Seems that Stumpkillers shot cups work just as well as the over powder corn meal. But the wads and cards I use seem to be just as good as any of these other options.

Fwiw, which may not be much as I haven't tried either, it was my understanding from some things I've read that for use as a shot buffer to improve patterns, corn muffin mix worked well but corn meal did not.

Back