• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ron Luckenbill J.P. Beck rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt PA

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a JP Beck rifle that fellow PA resident Ron Luckenbill built for me that I am very proud of..... It's a pretty tight interpretation of a known Beck original.

At my request Ron used a wonderful 44" Getz lightweight swamped .54 barrel(I think it's the same barrel Don Getz used on his auction gun a few years ago and luckily Ron had one leaning in the corner of his shop.....a rare occurrence I'm sure in gun building to actually have the barrel a guy wants!)  The lock is a Stan Hollenbaugh JP Beck which is a dead ringer for the lock on the original rifle. Trigger guard and butt are Reaves Goehring original Beck castings.....pipes, sideplate and patchbox are all handmade.
Ron stayed true to Beck's signature styles using his unique filings ,patchbox hinge design with built in lid stop,and even the use of 3 copper nails to secure the nosecap.
It even uses a hunk of Cameron Co. PA maple from the area where my hunting camp is located.
It is essentially an "All PA" build which is kinda cool. Lock, stock, barrel and even the brass is all PA made......a true "PA Longrifle" :thumbsup:

Finished rifle is just over 7 lbs with that light swamped barrel and it just has "life" when you shoulder it. It is a joy to tote around the mountains of north central PA.
Thought you guys might enjoy seeing it.

Beck1_zpsa24e51a5.jpg

Beck3_zps7ecb2556.jpg

Beck4_zps205fa5b2.jpg

Beck6_zps59780ee7.jpg

Beck5_zps2d9e0c65.jpg

Beck7_zpsebd028bd.jpg

Beck2_zpsdbc2b76f.jpg

Beck8_zps871e689b.jpg

Outstanding looking rifle!! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:
I think the Beck style is a favorite of many. I especially like the comfortable butt stock on this design. Seems to fit most shooters.
Your's has a terrific build history, which just adds to the enjoyment. Thanks for Posting the photos of her. Terrific looking rifle. Congrats. Rick. :hatsoff:

You should be proud of it. Ron did you up right. I like everything from carving to the finish :thumbsup:

Matt PA said:
It is a joy to tote around the mountains of north central PA.
Thought you guys might enjoy seeing it.

I definitely enjoy seeing this beauty. I would like it better if I were toting it around the swamps of Florida. :haha:

I'm speechless. Don't even know where to start. Love it. The gun on its own is exquisite, with the build notes of sources and all, incredible.

Hope to see some pics of it with game taken someday.

That surely is one of the nicest I have seen here, or anywhere for that matter... and I think it knows it. You can tell by the way it poses!

A NAME!!!! Such a rifle needs a name!

I would suggest Becky, a take-off from the Beck name, or Penny, because of her Pennsylvania heritage.

Thanks guys, and the mention of sitting and staring at it isn't far off! These guns definitely are functional art to the highest degree! :thumbsup:

I have another one of Ron's rifles I will post some pics of when I get a chance. That one is a beautiful .58 early gun based around the Edward Marshall rifle.

Latest posts

Back