• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Arrgghh You Interested in My New Pirate Flint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alden

Cannon
Reaction score
Seen 'em around, found a deal on this, it is a flint in "my caliber" of .50 so I thought "what the heck" and bought this new Traditions (made-in-Spain) little-octagon-to-lotta-round 10" barreled, 1:20" twist, beech-stocked "PIRATE Pistol."

I do not love the grip -- it is a little long in pull unless you hold it high up with the wrist angled severely down as is not uncommon on such period guns -- but the muzzle is relatively light, though not thin, compared to a full-octagonal of such lengths and manageable. Not sure when I'll get a chance to shoot it...

From pic 1 & 3, it does seem to have a long reach to the trigger. Carve it down some? :hmm:

Have fun and see how it shoots! :wink:

It does have a long reach though -- if I try to hold the grip more vertical than horizontal, where it feels natural, the trigger should be where the back of the trigger guard is. I can just reach the trigger with the tip of my finger otherwise and am either holding the gun so high on the grip I almost block the sights with the web of my hand or am holding the gun with my palm on the SIDE of the grip, not the rear, to get the pad of my trigger finger where it should be. ANd I don't have small hands.

Considered shaving it down too but between the refinishing and the fact that the brass buttcap wouldn't fit properly anymore it's not worth it.

:(

Hi Alden. Yes, that's a tough situation. :hmm:
Possibly have the trigger slot lengthened to the rear and re-configure the trigger back towards the rear of the guard? Or a custom made trigger to bring it back? Might look a bit funkey though? Even if you could do this the cost might not be worth it?
Or, you can re-sell it to a guy with LARGE hands :haha: Maybe others here will have an idea?
Rick. :hatsoff:

I handled one of these at the Hamburg, PA Cabela's and think they are very attractive pistols. The lock is different from other Traditions locks and looks to have better design and geometry. Looks like a good one.....let us know how it performs after you've had a chance to shoot it!

Hi Alden,
It has a lot of extra wood at the thickest part of the handle. I would carve it down to a more elegant and historically correct profile. That would solve a good chuck of your long pull problem and you would end up with a better pistol.

dave

Dave;
I can't really do that without it being a big pain.

Besides the refinishing of the whole thing from scratch if I did that (although at least it's oly a pistol), the brass butt cap goes up the back of the grip and so wont' allow the removal of that wood without serious mods or a whole new cap.

I've already stopped cutting the nail on my trigger and toes.

The toes 'cause they seem to have gotten really far away...

Have you thought of something like this http://www.longrifles-pr.com/trapperpistol.shtml
A little glass bedding in the barrel channel that will be covered by the endcap and your barrel should fit nicely. Then it would just be a matter of final shaping and inletting to suit you and transferring the furniture from the old stock to the new stock and finishing it. It would be a fun project that would keep you busy and out of trouble for a short while.

Or, if you want to keep your hands a bit busier for a bit longer, you might try one of these http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/889/1

Like they say "There's more than one way to skin a cat" :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
As a group, muzzleloading gun enthusiasts love to tinker. Be that as it may, I just never could see the sense in buying a spanking new gun and replacing major parts. If you need to modify it so much, why buy that particular model in the fist place. Of course, this does not apply to getting hold of a used "ugly duckling" and sprucing it up.

As an aside, that pistol would make one heck of a head thumper when held by the barrel and swung at an enemy.

Hola. La pistola "Pirata" fabricada por Ardesa (Traditions), se hace en España en calibre 45 y también en el 50. La madera es la misma que la de la pistola kentucky. Es demasiado grande, le sobra madera, pero lijándola puede quedar bien. A la llave hay que ponerle brida y mosca y regular el disparador.
Manufactured by Ardesa (Traditions), this "Pirate" pistol is made in Spain in 45 and the 50 calibers. Stock is the same as that of the kentucky pistol. It's too big, too large, it will spare wood, but sanding you can good look. A lock must be put bridle and fly and adjust the screw in the tumbler. It is good gun for the price.

Edited by Hermanoshawken on 06-09-14 01:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Gracias senor Hermanoshawken.

Ya know, I think, or thought, so too. The more I handled it the less I think I could fire it well. I have a customized Pedersoli, not Traditions' import, .50 Kentucky and its grip is nothing like this at least.

I may end up shaving it down or making a wallhanger of it some day... Who knows.

This would be a lot of trouble and I've only seen this demonstrated on video.

It might can be bent. The wood needs to reach 220 degrees and then it becomes pliable.

Sometimes this is done on fine doubles to adjust cast off and drop. Usually it's done with rags soaked in hot oil and the stock is in an adjustable jig. Like I said, lots of trouble but it can be done.

Alden have you had a chance to fire it yet? I have been thinking about getting one of their kits and cutting the wood down some. I was curious as to your opinion of the mechanicals as the reviews I have read concerning Traditions products over the years generally have been middle of the road at best.

Alden said:
Dave;
I can't really do that without it being a big pain.

Besides the refinishing of the whole thing from scratch if I did that (although at least it's oly a pistol), the brass butt cap goes up the back of the grip and so wont' allow the removal of that wood without serious mods or a whole new cap.

I would just work the grip down and not worry about the butt cap, just leave it plain.

scalper said:
there is an answer to every problem...ya just have to think about it...

My Brown Bess has such a long reach to the trigger that I have to pull it with my middle finger. Maybe you can manage your pistol's trigger with your middle finger too?

Latest posts

Back