• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

repair broken hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a LRML Rigby English Sporting Rifle with the spur of the hammer broken off.

I have fitted a new replacement hammer that was made from a mold taken from another original Rigby. After about 8 heat and bending sessions I got it to fit like it should and will get it engraved.

My questions is welding a new spur on the original hammer. I am assuming TIG welding will be the ticket, and I know welding cast has some issues. Anyone out there that has done a repair like this?

I would like to salvage the original hammer if I can. Hate not to use it, but I am still going forward with the new replacement, just in case....

thanks

Fleener

give Westerbeck a shout.. He's retiring from the high school, but is teaching welding a such at JCCC here in Overland Park..

[email protected] is what I think his new addy is?? < will check at home to verify > although, he is off to Georgia for a while to visit his oldest and family there..

Respect Always
etalshaper/Jonathan
aka Dag

Tig welding cast steel is no problem.
I can't do it because I'm booked for life.

I've successfully welded several pistol hammer spurs back on. I think I used my MIG but it's been ten years ago or so.
I'd use the TIG now though.
The trouble I have is not welding often so as to keep proficient at it. I generally have to make up a trial piece of approximately the same size and material and give it a few trial runs before committing to the actual piece which you wouldn't have to do is you stay sharp through continual use. Mike D.

I have a question. If this gun was made before 1864, couldn't the hammer be forged? I know modern hammers are cast steel. I just wondered how long ago they cast steel. I am sure someone will know.

cast iron was around in the 1700's, perhaps earlier. Due to the granular fracture of the break, I am very certain it is cast.

I have the replacement hammer fitted and it is at the machine shop to get the channels cut on the back side to accept the half cock safety on the lock.

Fleener

I can see you are correct about it being cast iron, but some were talking about cast steel. Sure is a beautiful gun. Very tight engraving, or maybe cast in decoration?

It might be forged, but I think it is cast....but not 100% sure yet.

The engraving is hand cut.

Fleener

I have seen some old original ones that were repaired by silver soldering a new piece on with a butt joint.

You almost don’t see the joint unless I point it out and tell you to look at it.

William Alexander

I have a buddy that has his PhD and specializes in metals and failure analysis. I showed him my broken hammer and he can not tell if it is cast or forged just by looking at it.

the granular structure of the break does not indicate one way or the other.

Fleener

Back