• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walnut wood patch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am installing a L&R lock into an IAB rifle of English sporting rifle design.
The catch is the lock is about 3/32 too small at the back arch of the lock.
I have made a shim and steam bent the shim similar to the arch needed.
I used yellow carpenters glue to hold the walnut patch.
Question: is there a better glue other than JB weld?
Thank you
Fred

For your purpose, the waterproof carpenter's glue is the best you can get. Unless J.B weld has come out with a wood glue that I don't know about, J.B weld is just for metal.

I have made a shim and steam bent the shim similar to the arch needed.
I used yellow carpenters glue to hold the walnut patch.

Probably not. I don't like Titebond III as it dries dark. TB II is what I prefer in my little woodworking shop.
Did it work OK? :photoSmile:

You did it right. Pay attention when you are staining and finishing to the colors of the 2 different pieces though. You might have to adjust that shim's finish lighter or darker to make it blend in. I use a very fine artist's brush to blend my boo-boos that need a shim.

For the occassinal shim, I use super glue. The "glue side" of the shim and the side of the inlet are stained w/ a similar looking or same stain as the finish stain and then the gel super glue is sparingly applied to both surfaces and the shim is held against the inlet surface immediately w/ a piece of metal or a couple of screwdrivers, etc for a minute or two. The super glue dissolves the stain and then has the same color....all but invisible after the final staining and it's "quick".

For a crack and if possible, the crack is opened a little w/ a wood wedge or a toothpick, stain is injected into the crack and when dry, runny super glue is applied. Again the super glue dissolves the stain and is nearly invisible after final staining. If the crack is open, then a clamp or surgical tubing is used to close it.....Fred

flehto said:
For a crack and if possible, the crack is opened a little w/ a wood wedge or a toothpick, stain is injected into the crack and when dry, runny super glue is applied. Again the super glue dissolves the stain and is nearly invisible after final staining. If the crack is open, then a clamp or surgical tubing is used to close it.....Fred

flehto said:
runny super glue is applied.

Do you thin the super glue? If so with what?

They make super glues of different viscosities ranging from a very thin runny glue to a gel. What he is talking about is the very thin runny super glue. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing with which you can thin super glue without ruining it. You can use acetone to remove it from a surface or your skin but I know of no actual thinner.

I build model airplanes, and use a lot of super glue. That stuff is dangerous, if it gets in your eyes and lungs. It will penetrate into the wood, and where it does, it will not take stain. I prefer the wood glues, that have very little odor, and can be cleaned up with a damp cloth. A small amount of super glue works fast, but I have never used it on a rifle. They make odorless CA/super glue, but the shelf life is short. Epoxy is not much different, as far as the breathing part, and blocking the wood from being able to have a stain penetrate, the wood.

I also use a lot of super glue just not on guns
With me it tends to get brittle and crumbly after some years.
I only use it for temporary things.

William Alexander

When I use super glue, it's never used to form a gap....only very narrow cracks and shims that are pressed against the inlet wall.

Dried super glue as you said, won't take stain, so before applying the super glue to the wood in the crack or the sides of the shim and inlet wall, the stain is applied and let dry. The super glue is then applied and it disolves and absorbs the stain and when dry and the final stain is applied, the super glue repair disappears.

Once had a forend split in the 5/32" web which was 8" long starting at the muzzle end of the stock. Applied the stain and super glue as above and when the LR was finished, the repair was all but invisible......Fred

Back