• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

am i too awesome or did i break something?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekforge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay so I recently discovered i really like fast draw and since i didn't want to break my dads gun i started playing around with my 1858. The problem is once probably every 10 shots the gun will go to full cock but the cylinder will keep spinning, my buddy says its because im too awesome for my gun and im getting the cylinder moving too fast. Is this true? I haven't taken it apart to check it out yet (too many other projects) did i break my gun (again) if so what should i look for when i do take it apart?

I'm guessing it's the cylinder stop, or "cylinder bolt" as they call it on this parts list. (See part #12) or the "cylinder bolt spring," (see part #19).

I thought it might be the spring combined with the cylinder speed so maybe i was half right i plan on taking it apart in the am.

If the stop or the indents in the cylinder have been "peened" or rounded, that could be more an issue than the spring. Replacing a peened stop is pretty straight forward, but peened edges on the cylinder cut could spell a new cylinder in worst cases.

The cylinder lock/trigger spring on both Colts and Remington are often broken during normal use.

When they are subjected to violent use their breaking wouldn't surprise me in the least.

If this "skipping" only happens once in a while it may be that a good cleaning and oiling will fix it but if you keep on mistreating your gun, expect it to break and it will live down to your expectations. :(

Fanning and quick draw are by far the quickest way to destroy a Colt or Remington ,all the serious competitors in this game get their guns retuned and upgraded just for this sport .

You need to visit Bowen arms.....and bring BOTH credit cards.... :haha:
The spinning cyl has a abrupt stop, those edges get peened pretty quick.....new parts will be needed...maybe new cylinder ?everything wears out....wears out faster when it's roughed housed....and quick draw work with a standards revolver will do it in one day.....
Did you get my PM about the wall hangers?
Marc

Thanks guys sounds like it is what i thought it might be. I plan on tearing it down after i get some work done. I have only thumbed this gun since according to the fast draw guys thats okay for a stock gun but apparently i am faster than the average thumber. Oh well if i am going to help out my buddy with his fast draw 1858 i may as well practice on common problems with my gun.

The odd part about fast draw is that it rarely happened in the real West. It is primarily a product of the 20th century Cowboy Movie.
Ed McGivern was perhaps the fastest of all time and wrote a book on it called "Fast and Fancy" although he primarily used double action guns.
Slip hammer single action guns were popular at one time as well.
Course these guys were using real bullets not blanks or wax loads. Mike D.

In answer to your original title message;

You're 19. Go with awesome for now. Life will tell you otherwise by the time you're older.

Awesome...but not "too". I remember when I was 19 and racing motorcycles, an old man (who was 32) regularly showed me up. He beat me at fast draw also by pre-cocking his Colt then holstering it. One day he shot himself in the leg. :rotf:

I beat my dad at fast draw with his gun then while rubbing it in I shot a blank off in the holster :redface: dont know the pain but i do know the embarrassment

Back