• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Shot With Pedersoli 10 ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up an older Pedersoli 10 ga off of Gunbroker about a month ago. Finally got the fixin's together and took her out to the turkey woods this morning. Passed on a couple of jakes that came in at fly down. Couple hours later a lone hen comes in followed by this amorous suitor in full strut. The hen comes right up to my decoy that was about 25 feet out, lover boy was about 10 feet behind her. He caught my movement as I went to line up the two barrel beads on him, stretched his head up, and I touched of the 10 ga for the first time.

P4070008_zpsc5eb4076.jpg

Me too....sold it...couldn't get used to the pattern shooting Rt Rt and Left Left. Now per prior threads I see a way is available to mess with the crowns to fix that very issue (I coulda wasted a few chokes but woulda loved it to shoot good!).

I too took turkey with it, shot mine at like 8 feet! Whole flock passed me n nailed a lil jake bringing up the rear!

Congrats on the nice gobbler, TH! Really do like the Pedersoli 10 gauge side-by-sides. Wish I still had mine. Got a gobbler with it that literally came running through the river bottom to my paddle-box call, zig-zaggin' around guinea grass. Shot it at 18 paces; it saw me swing those barrels to a hard left (tried to time it so that the turkey would be momentarily behind a tree as I made the move) and was running the opposite way as I fired the right barrel. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's awesome! Congratulations. What shot size and quantity did you use? I have a Pedersoli 12-guage and have yet to acquire all the stuff needed to fire it.

AllenHawken thanks for the good thoughts. I used a heaping 1 1/2 size scoop of #6 copper plated lead shot, probably close to 1 5/8 oz. I selected the #6 only because an open bag of it was available for a really good price at the last gunshow I attended, but I usually use #5 or #6 for turkeys depending on what I have.

I also have a Pedersoli 12 ga that I have hunted with for years and have taken several turkeys with. I use a heaping 1 1/4 oz scoop, again probably close to 1 3/8 oz. For wadding I use CircleFly 1/8 nitro card, 1/2 fiber cushion that I soak with melted Natural Lube 1000, and a .025 overshot card.

Good luck with yours!

Deputy you really have to stoke up your 20, these things are an absolute blast to hunt with. Matter of fact I'm actually trolling Gunbroker looking for a 20 as we speak. Hoping to get one and get her running by next dove season.

Hey THBailey,

I shot my Pedersoli 12 guage for the first time yesterday. What a blast! 10 shots to pattern the gun at the local range, 5 shots per barrel. I used 70 grains FFg GOEX, 1/8" overpowder nitro cards, 1/2" pre-lubed Circle Fly wads, 1 1/4 ounces #4 chilled lead shot measured with a Lee adjustable shot dipper, thin overshot cards (with a tiny hole to let air escape when going down the bore), #11 percussion caps. KABOOM! Smoke! Flame! Very cool.

AllenHawken,
Lot`s of fun, huh?
I also have a brand new Pedersoli 12 gauge. Have not had a chance to shoot it, but I am about to remedy that! I will be retiring June 30th and will have time to make smoke!!

Cypress Wolf,
I took mine out yesterday for the opening day of Spring squirrel hunting season in Virginia. Got a gray squirrel within 10 minutes of entering the woods at a site near the Rappahannock River. Heard it rustling in the leaves, capped the nipple on the pre-loaded right-side barrel, saw that the critter had run about 3 feet up the side of a tree, raised the barrel to a point a few inches above the squirrel's head and fired. The sound of the gun going off in the deep woods was awesome! Going out again next week to see if I can get a couple more.

azmntman: Pattern at 15 yards had 90% of the shots fairly evenly distributed within a 12 inch diameter circle.

THBailey: Mine doesn't have chokes, but the barrel seems to narrow a bit toward the muzzle. The reason I say that is because when I pull a patch out with a cleaning jag, it feels tighter as I withdraw the cleaning rod when the patched jag nears the muzzle.

Latest posts

Back