• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Percussion Caps is there a shortage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem. I learned that the hard way around 1960 when I drilled the nipple on an old Springfield musket and the hammer blew back to full cock and a piece of the cap stuck in my forehead, lucky it wasn't my eye, before the use of safety glasses.
Like they say... you live and learn or you don't live very long. :wink:

Now that hammer blow back has been mentioned, I noticed an interesting thing on my aluminum can tap-o-cap percussion caps the other day.

I took a very close look at an old expended cap the other day and it showed a very thin quarter to half circle tear in top end of the cap.

The hammer has never really blown back that I can think of, so I just assume that this might just be the nipple cutting through the aluminum as the hammer strikes it.

These caps use paper roll toy gun caps where the cap charge is taken from the roll with a paper punch.

I would usually use between 2 to 3 cap charge disks in each one and use a pin or needle to open a small hole on the disks to increase chances of ignition.

These things were not always very reliable, but they are super cheap to make. I would generally trust these more than I would those ring caps.

Cpl. Ashencheeks said:
I guess I am lucky in this regard.

I still have plenty of caps in #10, but #11 has been much harder to find in my area.

Another advantage I have is that I own one of those old Tap-O-Cap punch tools, although ignition with the #11 caps made from these are not nearly as reliable as a manufacturer's caps, but these caps do at least fit well on many different nipples.

It is too bad this gadget isn't made anymore and I probably will not be parting with mine anytime soon.

didn't know that the tap-o-cap was 'out of production' (i.e. gone the way of the typewriter ribbon)...

don't shoot much percussion since I have been turned to the rockbanging side, but it's nice to know that I'm not entirely 'out of luck'

I do occasionally see caps at gun shows, but many time the tin has been opened, and I can't bring myself to trust a can of caps (or a can of powder for that matter) which I haven't opened myself ... not saying that the seller is crooked, but you can't be too careful ...

make good smoke!

I would trust caps ok but wouldn't pay as much for an unsealed can. I figure at worse they just won't go off. Powder is a completely different story. I have heard of people buying used cans of powder and blowing up guns because the previous use had put some of the wrong powder back in the can after use.

I am in Lancaster county and there is certainly is a shortage. Cabelas had some about 3 weeks ago and I jumped on them the next day they were sold out.

I read posts about someone finding a supply of caps on a stores shelf and buying everything in sight.

I wonder if this has anything to do with all of the stores being out of caps when other people go in to buy some? :hmm:

I'm going to say yes to your question. Unfortunately, the shortage is leading to this form of hoarding. It's hard to leave any for others when you find some but we've got to start thinking about the other guy, especially now. End of sermon! :wink:

I went to a gun show yesterday and one guy had CCI #11 caps for $18.00 a tin. Everything on that dude's table was expensive though.

Zonie said:
I read posts about someone finding a supply of caps on a stores shelf and buying everything in sight.

I wonder if this has anything to do with all of the stores being out of caps when other people go in to buy some? :hmm:

Local store got in 10 cartons of 10 tins each, and while he was unpacking the shipment a guy came in and wanted to buy all 10. The store owner knew the guy didn't shoot muzzleloaders and was buying them on pure spec. Kicked the guy out of the store and told him he was 86'ed for a month. The guy probably isn't coming back at all, which put a bigger smile on the owner's face.

I'd been shopping around online for a good deal on a particular CF rifle this guy had in stock for a little more. Pulled out my checkbook and bought it from him on the spot. Gotta reward local businesses that stick up for us in the face of scalpers.

:thumbsup: :hatsoff: :grin:

I would do the same. Have never been back to an ol favorite in a smallish town 85 miles away when he was selling bricks of .22 for $70.00. Stick that I said, "When" ya can get em at wal-mart they still $22.00. He's a gouger and who's he gouging? HIS LONG TIME LOCAL (former) CUSTOMERS! I was on back order for 9 months bt eneded up with a case of bricks from Midway! Sure I could craigslist em and quadruple my $$ but that's not what I'm about!

I have found some caps out here in Montana, but it is a long drive to get them and they will not ship. Does anyone want to help with the gas and pay the shipping? I can pick them up tomorrow afternoon if anyone is interested. But, someone will owe me a pig hunt.

The pig is a joke. I would like someday to go hog hunting, but until then I will stick with elk and deer. I found 4 tins of 10s and 3 tins of 11s in Butte and drove over and bought them, but that is only enough for me. But, the offer stands about driving to Helena to pick some up for folks who cannot find them. It will take about 10 gallons of gas and the caps are running around $5.50 a tin. I was assured he had "plenty" So if you will cover my costs, I will run up and get them tomorrow or Wednesday. This thread really spooked me. The guy in Butte just got them in yesterday and it was all he could get.

Seems some debate on if you can ship caps through the mail. My local post master looked it up in his regulations and told me that there is "No problem, but they have to go by land." Again, that is the guy I would hand them to and say "This package has caps in it." He said no problem. But, others have other information which is more accurate than the Postal regulations at my local post office. So that ends my offer.

In response to "Snakebite's post"
Did this "A..hole" have a mask and gun??
I respect that everyone who is selling a product must make a profit to stay in business, but to actually gouge is wrong.
Perpetrators should be pointed out, so that others can avoid them.
Fred

Caps are all but impossible to find here in Canada.
Only at a very few gun shows, and very few of the rare gun shops.
I have to go to a black powder gathering, or the rare gun shop in the USA.
I have to admit, if I want caps, I will buy ten tins at a time, "IF" I can get them.
That is one of the reasons that I have gone to flint.
Musket caps.....forget it.
They're like finding a virgin in New York city....we have all heard of one, but have never actually seen one. :rotf:
Fred

In East Texas there are none and have not been any for a long time, shortage yes.

In Phoenix, Tip Curtis had them at $12 per hundred or $120 a 1000. Folks praise him, I consider him a gouger to the maximum, he also left early so folks could not shop.

Back