• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

thousand point pistol match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking forward to our annual 1000 point pistol match coming up this week end.
It will be held at the Upper Susitna Valley target range near Talkeetna Alaska and I always enjoy the trip up there to camp out and shoot for a couple of days.
Both Yazels and the Pietta target will get a work out this week end.
Think I will also take along my knapping stuff and do a little rock work after the shoot in the evening.
I'll take some pictures and post them when I get back. Mike D.

I told Keith you said hello Richard! We had a pretty good turn out for Alaska with ten shooters completing the 1000 point course.
Mike Kelly won as usual and Kieth kicked my but again but I'm creeping up on him with only four points separating us and I move up a class.
Can't say I had even one really good target as I never did get into the 90's but that is to be expected with no more practice than I've done this last year.
I'll get five or six in the black and them throw a couple out for no good reason I can see.
Man is that frustrating. Mike D.
Need to do more work on my flint pistol as it let me down in the timed fire match with not lighting the pan charge. Felt like throwing it in the creek when I couldn't get all my shots off in time.

"I'll get five or six in the black and them throw a couple out for no good reason I can see."

I can explain what is happening to you, 'cause it was explained to me after shooting a great target and finding one or two that did not score.

"You lost the front sight" I was told by a High Master this year.

You concentrated on the front sight and then failed to focus on it at some time.

You have to focus on the front sight, fail to do so and bad things happen.

I have found that pistol shooting is mental, pure and simple. Mental wins over anything you do.

I went to Phoenix this year, broke 5 existing records in Marksman, one of Keith's that has stood for some time. Several records I bested by 10 points. I want from Marksman to Expert and was just short of going to Master.

How, get the book, "The Pistol Shooter's Treasury" and read. Mike Luma's article in this month's NMLRA magazine is excellent.

There are no secrets to winning, but there is some insight I have learned from the High Masters. There are times to shoot and times when you sit.

LTF Flintlock, I have set two WNS records now, I love to shoot LTF Flintlock, I hate LTF Percussion.

Each string of 5 in LTF Flintlock is started with a "new" flint. Prior to starting the LFT, a shot is sent into the bank to ensure that the flint is working as needed. Shoot 5 and replace the flint and start repeat.

I did learn one thing this year. After finishing the LTF in percussion, the time keeper killed the clock with 45 seconds left. When I checked the target I had 9 holes in it, one short. Lost the front sight, duh.

Never let a person kill the clock until the fat lady is finished and holes are counted. The problem was resolved.

If you are staying within a few points of Keith you are doing well.

If you look at the High Master scores from Friendship or Phoenix, you will see a spread of 5 to 6 points between 1st and 2nd, not much room error. If you can shoot 95 and 85, you will be on the leader board.

Back