• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Now THIS is fun! - Shooting the Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have only been at this traditional muzzleloader shooting a short time. This weekend, I took my flintlock and a percussion rifle to the outdoor range.
h20u.jpg

The outcome: I just love shooting that flintlock. What a blast (so to speak). Frankly, I enjoy the flintlock more than the percussion rifle.
At the range, I spoke to a fellow I know from a local gun shop and he said that I was grinning from ear to ear.
I invited the man and his son to try shooting the flintlock. There may be two more converts to the benevolent order and brotherhood of rock locks!
Ron

Ha another rock lock junkie. Remember i you just can't have one.

P. S. Don't worry them new fandagled percussin things will never ketch on.

Once they go over to the percussion rifles, the next step is gyroscopic stabilized, GPS directed, night vision, guided projectiles. :doh:
I will never put one of those on my flintlocks! :td:
Ron

I could never get them cappy thangs to ignite no matter which way i laid em the pan, just not enuff spark :idunno:

Actually I love caplocks too. They all addictive.

azmntman said:
I could never get them cappy thangs to ignite no matter which way i laid em the pan, just not enuff spark :idunno:

Actually I love caplocks too. They all addictive.
:grin: Those caps do just jump out of the pan, don't they.
Ron

I don't think it's a desk, I think the gun is mounted on the side of the table and that stuff is all piled up on the floor in front of it.

Nice you have an emotional investment and a pretty gun too!

ord sgt said:
The brass is too shiney! It needs to get some patina from hard use.

The first thing I did after buying the used rifle is clean up the brass. Actually, the brass is a bit dinged up with use, but that can't be seen from the photo. And, I want it to be "purty." :grin:
Ron

Alden said:
I don't think it's a desk, I think the gun is mounted on the side of the table and that stuff is all piled up on the floor in front of it.

Nice you have an emotional investment and a pretty gun too!

It is a desk with a shelf I added.
I bought the desk about 52 years ago as a young teenager, and it was a surplus school desk that already was some 30 years old. Biggest, heaviest, and best desk I ever had.
Ron

bwa ha ha ha !!! (mad scientist laugh)

another one turned to the dark side!

there is something inexplicable about shooting flint ... can't seem to shake it loose ...

if I figured it out, that would probably spoil it.

congrats, and that's a nice looking rifle - by the way, what's your next one gonna be?

MSW said:
bwa ha ha ha !!! (mad scientist laugh)

another one turned to the dark side!

there is something inexplicable about shooting flint ... can't seem to shake it loose ...

if I figured it out, that would probably spoil it.

congrats, and that's a nice looking rifle - by the way, what's your next one gonna be?

The next one already is. I bought an Austin & Halleck mountain rifle in flintlock.

To be completely honest, I like percussion as well. But as you say, there is something about that "poof" that goes off when the flint hits the frizzen.
Ron

What kind of cigars and is that a Colt SAA or are you happy to see me?

Back