• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

stuck ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BAD day at the range today. Was using dutches system and got a too thick and too dry patch stuck at 6". Long story short...no shooting this one out, made a custom puller and used impact hammer.

Any way when trying too shoot out with a few grains of powder (dumped all powder to avoid a bulge and then put in 3-5 grains)I had steam and smoke and hissing and white crud coming out the nipple. This stuff clogged the nipple beyond field cleaning, tried two new nipples and same thing.

Anyone know what this white goo was? I did add a bit of moose juice down the barrel trying to get ball out but after two tries am thinking any excess shoulda been dried up and gone? Shooting 2f goex. Also gun was about 3 times harder to clean too?

At least I only dry balled once! :blah: That one shot out 30 yds no problems.

If you get a chance, post about your custom puller. Had to yank out a really stuck one that was in there for about 5 tears for a buddy.

Next time I'll have something a bit better than a ramrod to do it with.

The ball needs to be seated all the way to the breach if you intend to shoot it out. Usually a little water will soak into the patch and you can get it rammed down. If you don't have a good range rod, get one, brass or stainless steel.

Tried, no go. Back home I tried again with a solid steel rod n a hammer. No go. That was first choice as it was loaded. Coulda shot it out. Since it was STUCK i empied the charge then trickeled back about 3-5 grains (3 times) and no go, smoke, steam hiss n white crud came out the nipple. Check each time ball didnt budge. Was tinking spur might have went sideys but was square when we finally got it out.

Real question I have is what could the white crud have been? So bad I couldn't pick nipple, had to replace all three times. Cleaned breach no problem and lotta white crud (like burned moose milk maybe??). After the first 2 shots with 3-5 grains of powder one would assume if was moose milk it would have dried up?

Anyway its out, gun cleaned and ready for next session.

I'm not that familiar with Dutch's method but doesn't it state to soak patches in diluted Ballistol and then dry them? If so, water would have leached the Ballistol mixture (moose milk) out of the patch. That's probably where your white color came from.

I was! Was doing the Dutch system. I contacted him, he believes perhaps swipe patches too thin (as it did seem to be getting harder to swipe as I shot along). Getting some flannel patches and back out I go! Was using TC patches I got off amazon for 12.00 for 500. LOOKED like they would work OK, did a good job cleaning up with em!

Couple weeks ago? Might have been a bit more or less but VERY good deal. Search amazon for

Made By: TRADITIONS
Model Number: A143
500 count

Sorry not T/C but Traditions. A good deal but was off on cost they are $20.00.

Back