• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T.O.W. Mink Oil for bore preservative?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
An acquaintance informed me that he has been using Track of the Wolf's mink oil to protect his bore from rust.

He has been using it for about a year and simply swabs/coats his bore after a cleaning and drying.

Anybody think good or bad of this practice?

Anybody here do the same or maybe use beef or mutton or other tallow to protect your bores? :hmm:

I use deer tallow and mutton tallow have for a bout 3 years it works well on barrels and what not but mix it with some beeswax about 60 tallow 40 wax and its good on wood leather boots the outside of your barrel and patches.

I have used mink oil in the past and have been using deer tallow for the past few years. Never had a problem with either of them.
I friend of mine mixes the two, I've never tried it but I guess that works as well.

I find a moderen oil eaiser to work with but have had good succsess with mink oil,lard and deer tallow.Use to have sperm oil about 30 years ago., and know people who have used bear oil. I think any animal oil would work.

I use it for a patch lube as it seems to stay viscous at temperatures below freezing. I'm curious to see what others think.

I won't use mink oil because the process of squeezing the mink is tough on them -- and it's not necessary.

And Tenngun, I think, hope, you mean whale oil of some kind...

And Tenngun, I think, hope, you mean whale oil of some kind...

Sperm oil is a whale oil. All whales produce oil. But the 'sperm' oil is a highly specialized version that is found in the head of the Sperm whale. He is right on with that comment.
Read Moby Dick. Really that story is much more a documentary of the whaling industry than a story about the Captian and a while whale.

I've used it short term with complete satisfaction. But in our wet, salty climate I sure won't rely on it, any more than I'd use it on the outside of the gun for rust proofing.

If it works for them, good on 'em. Personally I'll stick with WD-40.

TOW Mink Oil is what I use for patch lube, but pretty much leave it there.

Sperm oil was collected from a space in the sperm oils head. It was white and thick before it was processed becoming thinner after. The old sailors thought it was thwe whales sperm...hence the name. In whale blubber including sperm blubber could be rendered in to oil, but the oily stuff from sperm whales heads is a one of a kind oil, and found in girl sperms too.

I like wd40 but find it dosen't last long. I lube with it to displce any left over water but like to use somthing thicker the next day. I like barisol but also like to rub barrle with a greased patch inside and out. I know a lot of folks swear by wd40, but it hasn't work well for me a week or more after cleaning.

Any oil that will stick to the surface of the metal and will exclude air and moisture from the metal surface will provide protection from rust and corrosion. But, oils made specifically to provide rust and corrosion protection will function better for a longer time than such things as bear oil, mink oil, etc. These old time things work but the new products work better. My guns cost a good bit of money so I choose to use the best rust prevention products I can find. What great gandpappy or Davy Crockett used is of no interest to me because I know there are better products available today and I choose to use the best I can find for my guns. Others may choose to use what Davy and Dan'l did. It's their guns and they can do what they choose.

Latest posts

Back