• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fowler Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
took my new Fowler to the range this afternoon to shoot it for the first time. Looks like she shot pretty good! just a liitle to the right....was using 75grns of 3ff and 2 75grn finger chargers worth of #5 shot...about 1.5 ounces i think...

WP_20140314_003.jpg

1st target at 30yards....seems a bit open if u ask me

WP_20140314_004.jpg

2nd target at 20 yards....much better pattern. A bit to the right...but not bad ...well actyually i dont think it s bad this is the first time ive ever shot a fowler....so how do they look? Am using firber wads (OP) and OS cards.... I dont know if those are good patterns or not can someone enlighten me plz

What caliber/gauge are ya shooting? Sounds like 20ga/62 cal. If you want to tighten your groups, try a lubed cushion fiber wad over your over powder wad. Pre load your shot into paper tubes made of butcher paper or paper grocery bags. Nice shooting! Keep tinkering till you're happy with the performance. Bushy tails take a lot of killing most times. :thumbsup:

am shooting a .58cal/24 gauge...i thought of making the paper tubes...i may try the fiber wad over the shot......right now I load Powder...fiber wad...shot...OS card... how does a fiber wad over the shot work any better than an OS card?? i may go back to the range tomorrow and try some poormans tow...( unraveled hemp rope) but really I guess the 20 yards pattern is pretty good just have to adjust windage. the main purpose of the gun is for deer hunting...

I think that the order of loading is powder first. Then use the over powder card or two over shot cards. The third level of the load is the lubricated fiber wad. Try a half wad. Next is the shot load of about 1 & 1/2 the volume of powder. Last is the over shot card.

Your 24 gauge fowler may have a better pattern using less powder (60 to 65 grains of 2f). A paper shot cup may tighten the pattern also.

Bryon, the fiber wad,felt wad,or tow is used to cushion the shot when fired so it doesn't "pancake" the shot load. which not only flatens out the shot some but does the same to your pattern.

so Today I decided to se how she handled PRB....id have to say she did quite well. I am amazed how modest the recoil is....I barely feel it! My .54 pedersoli thumps fairly hard with 75grains....this gun barely flinches....i love it! I cant say that the .58 is very economical to shoot but I think it would make short work of a deer to be sure. leaves a mighty impressive hole
WP_20140315_001.jpg
this was the first 2 shots ever at 30 yards. impact is a little to the right , my hold was right at the squirrels armpit...id say the sights are pretty damn close to perfect

WP_20140315_002.jpg

this was shot at 50 yards...the 2nd shot went wide right cuz i flinched :redface: so i dont count that one ...but the other two are still pretty much dead on..again the elevation was perfect...hold was 12 about 3 inches high....sights are still pretty damn neaqr perfect. as far as im concerened I dont think i need more than a tap of the rear sight for adjustment....i can say that I am very pleased with the results

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shooting! I just finished a 20 gauge fowler and spent a few days with it at the range testing shot loads. I wasn't very happy with my patterns so I sent the barrel off to Caywood's to have Danny jug choke it for me to a Full since I plan on using it primarily on turkeys. I'll post the results when I get it back. I'm curious as to what sight you put on the rear of your fowler because I'm contemplating putting one on mine. I have shot a few round balls out of her and she seems to do pretty good as well. It amazes me as to how well these things can shoot without any rifling. Thanks so much

B
Cut your shot loads back to 60 grains, make a paper bag tube. Leave your ball load the same. :thumbsup: I have to ask: did you shoot all 3 balls at once? :blah: :rotf:
I'm running the A/O sb woodswalk in May!!
Nit Wit

I've been shooting a 24 bore few yr. now, best patterns are with 50-60 gr 3f, 2 hard 1/8" cards over powder & 1 tore in half thickness over shot. Great patterns at 20-25 paces. Thats my gun, yours can/will be to it's own self...Keep shooting...Tom

Bryon:
Did you say 2 75 gr loads of shot? Use equal volume powder to shot. Try 60 rains 3f 60 grains shot.
Tom I'm anxious to try out that 32 guage fowler you sold me. :grin:
I can practice with it while I'm boiling down sap.We have over 2 feet of snow on the ground :shocked2: , so I'm using snowshes to collect sap. It's good to have an old fashioned Maine winter for a change.
Nit Wit

Back