• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

in the market for a tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm kind of looking for a canvas tent I been using a 6x6 a frame but its getting a little tight and I really ain't made my mind up which one I want i not a big fan of wall tent there nice tho I have really looked at a 9x8x7 a frame a friend of my has one its really easy to put up. I'm jus looking for advice thanks

We are fortunate to have several very good suppliers of tents for reenactment. IMHO, you can't go wrong with Panther Primitives. I used my hunters tent for many years and enjoyed. Easy to put up. I know the arguments about authenticity ("was"/"wasn't"). Nobody ever shot me for having at ronny. New models are better than what I had. Check them out.

Fall Creek Sutlers makes some nice A-frames, and their prices seem to be lower than most of the competition. The misses and I use one of their 10.5x12 wall tents, and we love it. Bone dry in nasty weather, and the tent don't move an inch in the wind. Only recommendation, whoever you get your tent from, make sure you order it with a sod cloth.

Go to a couple of events & ask people what they do & don't like about their tents. Most will be happy to point out features for you to consider. Tentsmiths has a very informative website that you should check out. We have had several of their tents & have been very happy with them.

Most guy in my unit has wall tents the 6x6 and a 9x8 is the only a frame I like a Sgt tent but I like the a frames because there easier to put up I've been really going on 5 years so I've put up alot of tents. The guy ( my commanding officer) was goin to sell me his 9x8 a frame because he wanting a wall tent but the guy is wanting to trade so I'm starting to look I have talk to crescent city about a Aframe and I goin to take my time in picking obe . I do civil war reenactment but there a mountain group close and I would like to join in with them a couple of times a year so I would like something that could be used in both thanks

A Civil War era wall or a-frame tent would be welcomed at most any but the strictest fur trade camp. The only real difference, that would be noticeable to the average Joe, that I can see, is a Civil War era wall tent often has brass grommets along the sides for the side poles verses cotton webbing loops, as grommets hadn't been invented in time for the fur trade. However, once the walls are up, the rope covers the grommet, and no one sees them.

For Civil War purposes, the size, & type of tent will be determined by one's rank & the unit that one joins as a member. Different units have different standards for both authenticity and uniformity. For Rondy purposes, any decent cotton tent (can a tent be indecent?) will do.

Tentsmiths has a very informative website that you should check out. We have had several of their tents & have been very happy with them.

I did check out their website. Very informative. I would buy from them. But, my heart weeps saying this, my ronny days are over, I won't be buying another lodge. :(

The 6x6 is fine jus a little tight but I'm getting more equipment and my own artillery piece so I needing the room and we are trying to get more member so I'm thinking we could get two or three in a A Frame. How are the diamond shelter tents I thought about getting one if I get into the fur trade thanks

Rifleman1776 said:
Tentsmiths has a very informative website that you should check out. We have had several of their tents & have been very happy with them.

I did check out their website. Very informative. I would buy from them. But, my heart weeps saying this, my ronny days are over, I won't be buying another lodge. :(

Sorry to hear that your ronny days are over. At several events we attend, there are a few "tin tepees" in the parking area whose occupants health doesn't allow for pitching a tent & all the other camp work. I know its not the same experience but we still get to see them on the range & at the trade blankets.

Coot said:
Rifleman1776 said:

Sorry to hear that your ronny days are over. At several events we attend, there are a few "tin tepees" in the parking area whose occupants health doesn't allow for pitching a tent & all the other camp work. I know its not the same experience but we still get to see them on the range & at the trade blankets.

Yep. Lot of factors involved. My wife made me sell our camper. Plus pulling it at about zero miles per gallon busted the budget for anything further than the end of the block. :shocked2: Oh, well. Life moves on.

I have a smallish wdge/atent that I have been using for about a dozen years. As I progressed up the rank standings in my unit I keep addingh my junk... Currently I am the first sarg. of our unit, and I bring extra stuff for newbies to use. So What I did is added a front fly to my tent. I can store stuff under it in "fake" period boxes that have been water proofed, and hasp and padlock for safety. You can even park a Mt. Howitzer underneath. A couple of guys going campaign style can sleep underneath it also in bad weather. It's also used as a rally place at nights for talking, singing, and eating. Lit with candles, and lanterns. I also have a couple of those U shaped hangers for guns to hangkp it I guess you wouyld call it the ridge pole. My fly was made with a few 2x4's and a treated painters tarp. It cost me about 50 bucks overall. I can even set it up independant of the tent so it can be used as a community space.

I use to have a baker style lean-to from Rk lodges
Never leaked a drop in 15 years. While I would'nt
get another lean-to it was extremely well made.

P.S, vivatex/sunforger get the good stuff!

Rifleman, if you can't manhandle the canvas and the tin tipi is gone, perhaps it's time to kick over the table and take a different approach. For several years, I attended rendezvous, camping in the tin tipi area by using a modern hammock, foam pad, sleeping bag, and a 12' nylon fly as a sleeping area, and a folding table, cutlery, and an old svea cookset for cooking. All of the above fits quite nicely into the trunk of a small car. Toss the ice chest, water jug, and clothes in, and you're ready to go.

Take a look at https://www.hammockforums.net

These aren't the hammocks you knew. With my back problem, in the hammock I sleep as well as (and sometimes better than) I do in my regular bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a beautiful placed for a rondy :thumbsup: I'm think Ozarks in the Fall :hatsoff: :thumbsup: :hmm:

:doh: Hi there,
I have a brand new baker, it is made by panther (10.38 canvas)Had extra "rain" flaps made on the edges. Includes sod cloth, privacy curtain and separate front curtain. IMHO, panther's are the best. We've been in some pretty rough winds and rain in our panthers, and they're still going strong. I wanted a baker tent for years and finally purchased it but for me...it is not a tent that I can sit up by myself so thinking about selling.

I have had a Tipi for 25 years. Finally fell apart. A couple of years ago I got a 10x12 wall tent. Last year I got a Museum Wedge from Tentsmith and love it. So easy to put up and with a fly it seems just as roomy as the wall. However I do miss the Tipi, but such a pain to put up and down for a short time/2 day event. Check out the Museum Wedge. Fits 2 cots, a couple of good sized gear boxes and a medium sized stove.

Latest posts

Back