• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Took the new GPR to the range this morning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. S

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

Some of you might remember that my wife got me a GPR for my birthday early (thanks honey!). I had some time this morning to get to the range with it. I didn't pick up any valve grinding compound as yet as was suggested to lap the bore, so I am guessing I can still do that sometime.

It was a nice morning here in southwestern PA. About 47 degrees and partly sunny. The ground was pretty saturated though from all the snow that has been melting.

I took Goex 2f with me and Hornady .530 round balls with Ox-Yoke pre-lubed .015 patches and Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies pre-lubed .018 pillow ticking patches. I primed with Goex 4f.

My time was limited this morning, so I didn't shoot as much as I would have liked to. I started at 25 yards using 70 grains. Then 80 grains at 25 yards. I moved out to 50 yards and tried 85 and 90 grains.

The 80 & 85 grains felt more comfortable to me than the 90 grains did, ha. I only took two shots with the .018 pillow ticking patches and those two shots really opened up. All my other shooting was with the .015 patches.

It looks to me like I will be working further with 80-85 grains. Also, I want to try 3f when I get the chance. The .015 patches looked good up to 80 grains. When I used 85-90 grains, those patches tore. I was only able to find one of the .018 pillow ticking patches that I shot the 90 grain load with. It didn't tear.

Loading with the .530 balls and the .015 patches was pretty easy. The .018 pillow ticking was a little harder to load but not a big difference.

I had a blast! I do shoot my .50 Firestorm better, but I have had it for a while and shot it a lot at the range. My eyes are not the greatest, so I installed the sights Lyman uses on I think the Deerstalker . I also added some fluorescent yellow to the rear sight.

Pictures are attached. I'm not sure if there is a limit to how many I'm allowed to attach, so hopefully this many is ok.

I almost forgot, I did have two misfires. Just a pan flash and no boom. Before going to the range I installed an RMC vent liner. It worked great but what I found out was when I primed the GPR like I do my TC Firestorm, one push of the TC pan primer and level out the powder, I had those misfires. This GPR wants one push of the primer banked against the flash hole. When I primed that way, a boom every time :)

Btw, photobucket was messing with my pictures. I hope they actually stay right side up and not stretched weird this time :)

Thanks,

Rick

Were those shots shot off a bench???
It seems that something is very inconsistent there for shooting groups this big at 25 yards.
I guess you did not wipe the bore after each shot to keep barrel consistent. Additionally, your rifling may just cut the patches still a bit.
Otherwise, I think 3 f is the better powder for flintlocks with a patent breech like the GPR.
Essentially, it is a percussion gun with just a drilled hole form the side to install vent liner.
Before you go shoot, you need to get the excess oil out of that breech. It may gum up sometimes and will not go off consistently.

I wiped the bore after every three shots. I'm planning more range time with it. I did shoot it off the bench, it just doesn't look like I did.

Any inconsistencies are surely me. Next time I will concentrate on that 80 grain load and also bring some 3F with me. Thanks for your input!

Rick

I use Windex on my patches to wipe the bore it is dry and does not goo up. I also put my finger over the touch hole and pour some alcohol down the bore if I start getting flash in the pan. I let it set for a minute then pour it out of the barrel followed with a dry patch. It helps get any goo or liquid out of the breach.

Valve Grinding Compound??!! Why in God's name do you want to round off those nice sharp land edges? You can wreck your new barrel with vallve grinding compound. It won't in any way make it any better than it is right now.

I use valve grinding compound to cut crowns on old and worn rifles, but it is folly to go about scouring and scraping on a perfectly good barrel with valve grinding compound, steel wool or other abusive abrasives.

You're going about it OK now by loading firing and cleaning. That is the common sense way to break in a barrel. Shortcuts will just put undue wear on your barrel, and diminish its' potential.

Every .54 cal rifle I have is a tack driver right out of the box. In fact it seems that developing accurate loads with the4 .54 is easier than in about any other caliber.

Another vote to keep the grinding compound for salvaging bad barrels .Not for use on a new one. :idunno:

The valve grinding compound was suggested in another thread. My plan right now is to take 3f to the range with me next time . I also picked up a box of Hornady .535 balls I want to try. I was having trouble keeping the sights aligned. Just my less than stellar eyes though. I will keep working at it. Thanks everyone.

Rick

Something you may want to try. Use a double patch. 1 patch down the bore on top of the powder. The patched round ball on top of that. It is a extra step but usually results in better accuracy. . Helps protect the patch around ball and further resist any blow by. Later after the barrel is broken in , you can retry with your single patch. The 535 ball usually shoots more accurate in my 54's. Good luck and have fun.

It takes a while to figure out what a new gun likes. Don't do anything to the sights until after at least 100 shots. Don't do the valve grinding compound at any time. After about a years worth of shooting you will have it figured out. Just don't try to rush the process, have fun with it.

My .54 likes a .526 ball and a .012 spit patch over 75 grains of 3F. I like to be able to load without a short starter so I like a looser combination.

Many Klatch

I have an update. Since I an semi-retired and just work part time in retail, we are slow this time of the year so I went back to the range with the GPR today. I was very unhappy with my shooting on Monday. So, I changed some things and left some the same.

Thinking about those torn patches, I looked closely at the muzzle with magnification and thought I saw a wire edge at the start of the rifling. Yesterday I took a 3" square of 320 grit cloth and just using thumb pressure I rotated the grit cloth back and forth in the muzzle a few times.

I used Hornady .535 balls today with the same .015 patches I used on Monday. I also used Goex 3f today exclusively. I used a different front rest instead of the Hornady Delta Rest that seems a little slippery. I used a rest with a leather front bag. Also, different targets. They are smaller and with the black bull, I was hoping for more contrast.

This morning the weather wasn't as warm as Monday, about 36 degrees and we had has some rain & snow mix early in the morning. It was a pretty gloomy day when I got to the range.

I started at 25 yards with 65 grains of the 3f, then 70 grains, and 75 grains. I swabbed the bore with a patch with alcohol on it every two shots. All targets were shot with a center hold.

After shooting the 75 grain load at 25 yards, I moved to the 50 yard range. I have to say I sure had more trouble keeping the sights aligned at 50 yards, haha. My eyes are not great, but this was a struggle.

I did lower the rear sight after my first few shots at 50 yards. Then, I moved it back up a little for the last shot I took before I had to leave. The sun came out on that last shot, and I was excited for that!

Below are some pictures of the targets and just some of my random patches. I didn't pick up the patches after each string of the different powder charges, so they are just mixed up.

Man I feel so much better than I did on Monday! I obviously still need a lot more trigger time with my GPR, and I may have to think about some different sights (maybe), but things are looking up as far as I am concerned. I would like to hunt deer with this next flintlock season here in PA and I want to be ready.

Thanks,

Rick

First the 25 yard targets, 65, 70, and 75 grains of 3f.

The 50 yard targets. I lowered the rear after the first four shots, then shot twice and raised it a little and then took the last shot in the sun, ha.

The patches

The patches look good, You might want to look into a peep sight with a blade front.

Don't worry about the sights until you have a couple of hundred rounds through and the barrel is broke in. My favorite load for my .54 GPR flinter is a .530 ball, pillow ticking patch (from Wal-Mart fabric) lubed with Ballistol oil and 80 grains of FFg Goex. I have tried FFFg, which worked fine, but FFg seems to give tighter groups. This load gives me one ragged hole group at 50 yards. One day I went to the 100 yard range and increased the powder charge to 90 grains. I was amazed at the accuracy. You are going to love that rifle :thumbsup:

I use 75-80 Gr. powder to push out a .530" RB wrapped in a .018" patch. Several folks have mentioned either 75 or 80 gr. as a good load. I've even used 50 gr. Pyrodex RS loaded atop 25 gr Goex, and accuracy is the same as all BP in the flint, or even all Pyrodex in one of the cap rifles.

I've also found that it seems my .54's are all more forgiving across a wider powder range than even my easiest-shooting .50 cal. rifles

Looking better...

Now, about those eyes...Go to a 6 o'clock hold...Put the bulls eye on top of that front sight and adjust the sights to hit dead center at 50 yards...Do this with a 3 inch bull and you are an inch and a half high at 50...This will be just about dead on at 75...

Next...What does that front sight look light??? Is it clear??? I've had cataract surgery and with my 38 and 42 inch barrels that front blade is clear as a bell...What I did do was take a very thin file and open up that rear sight just a tad...Do this until the fuzziness of that rear sight lets that front sight clear up...

I use to set my flintlocks up with a little sliver of light on each side of the rear sight but after the surgery, I opened them up...It's easy to center that front sight when it's nice and clear...

The sights are a Lyman set. I don't remember what the front white bead measures. I do think I can open up the rear sight though. I will try a six o'clock hold next time at the range. Thanks for the suggestions! I also had cataract surgery and some kind of a eye surface tune up. My distance vision is better, but I carry two different power reading glasses with me. One is good out to about computer monitor distance, and the other pair works for actual reading distance. The front and rear sights are both kind of blurry.

Rick

Back