• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Working up a 100 yd load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou_D

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to be accurate at 100 yds with my new .45 cal PA long rifle. 68 gr 3f load .445 ball .010 Ox-lube patches. I'm using this "billboard" size target because I'm old :grin: The top pic is my sight picture at 55 yards. My aiming point is the big red spot. The 1st group - the upper right group tells me the rifle shoots high & right. Next I adjust my aiming point low & to the left (7 o'clock) of the red spot. The 2nd group confirms I need to adjust sights. The 3rd pic is 108 yd target - low. QUESTION - should I increase load to bring the group up @ 100 yds or adjust sights.
http://i1346.photobucket.com/album.../albums/p698/Lou_D/0015_zpsa1ea1fb6.jpg[/IMG]sfd93a323.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
68 grains in a 45 is a heavy load so I would try and adjust the sights, assuming you have already decided that 68 grains is your best grouping heavy charge. :idunno:

I use 68 because that's the 1.5 x cal rule of thumb starting point. I can always get 3 touching. the other 2 I attribute to "operator error". So I should adjust to shoot high center at 55 yds & see what happens at 108? OK thanks

I forgot to mention I dry wipe between shots. my instincts tell me to add 5 gr but I'm a rookie. the book says 90 gr 2F is max load.

Lou...the rule of thumb you refer to
(1.5 x caliber) is for the Max safe load...
not a starting load...at least according to Ned Roberts in his book " The Caplock Rifle"

Tryin to figure out what your poa was on the last target? :confused:

If you were aiming at the lower right bull, your group is high. Apparently that was not the Poa so in order to analyze the target need to know what was the poa for that poi?

Went out to the range on Thursday with the .54 cal lefty flint Deerstalker - the one all the serious guys at the range point and laugh at. I've got it sighted and a good load set up for 50 yards, and figgered it's time to go for 100 yards.

I was advised that the little 24" barrel wouldn't launch a ball that far.

I spent the rest of the day busting grapefruit-sized balloons placed out at the 100 yard berm. Occasionally I'd miss. One of the guys with his custom cap rifle would occasonally hit one.

Kinda ****** of the spendy guys with my short little cheap-o production rifle. Later on I was invited to shoot a couple balls thru a chronograph - did 1425 f/s with a 75 gr load pushing the .535" PRB. I'm happy all around with the performance, so far & will worry about paper targets and tuning it some other time.

Next task will be to go over to the Hi-Power range and ring the 200 yard gong with my .50 cal GPR flint - THAT, I suspect will be a real challenge.

My aiming point on the last target - the 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper was center of the paper - the only thing I could see at 100 yards. I think that group tells me I still need to adjust to move the group left but maybe leave the elevation alone since I'm already 6" high at 55 yds. I think I'll leave the load alone for now.

I don't believe you need much help from us. You are doing what needs to be done to achieve the results you want. You are shooting, not typing. :applause:
I shoot a .45 competitively in several rifles. Most shots are 55 gr. charge, when I go to 100 yards I kick up to 65 gr., which is also my hunting load. A couple sighting shots will tell me if the stars are in alignment that day for cutting X's. If your poi is still low, I reccomend just doing the kentucky thing. e.g. hold your sights on the 12 o'clock edge of the black instead of the center. The load adjustment is only part of the equation.
Good shooting. Let us know how it works for you.

Appreciate the feedback fellas. I'll adjust sights to move the group left; use a 65 gr load & put up one of them big targets at 100 yards and see what happens. Healthy Happy New Year to ya'll.

Some folks use a different load for different ranges. That works well if you are always shooting paper at set distances. others shoot their best load at all distances and use sight adjustment, learning the various sight pictures for the different distances. That works well for field use and also holds up well for target shooting. I use the latter method and it works well for me.

Back