• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Double Load!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky5042

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all I was having a go with my friends bp revolver and another member gave me a cylinder loading jig so I gave that a go it wasn't as easy as I thought but when I got to the last one it wouldn't go down! yes I loaded 2 round balls Doh Shocked so we had to take the nipple out, tip the powder out then tapped the 2 balls out Smiley so a good lesson learned today lol
Would a steel parallel punch be ok to do this? he had a 223 case with a small brass bar in it which he used to tap them out?
Regards

Rick

ricky5042 said:
Hi all I was having a go with my friends bp revolver and another member gave me a cylinder loading jig so I gave that a go it wasn't as easy as I thought but when I got to the last one it wouldn't go down! yes I loaded 2 round balls Doh Shocked so we had to take the nipple out, tip the powder out then tapped the 2 balls out Smiley so a good lesson learned today lol
Would a steel parallel punch be ok to do this? he had a 223 case with a small brass bar in it which he used to tap them out?
Regards

Rick

If you load the revolver with enough powder so the ball sets flush with the cylinder face its impossible to load 2.
Mine always shot better this way.

Dan

Hi the guy whos gun it was only loads 22gns and the second ball was just proud of the chamber so he didn't want to force it! it came out ok lucky for me lol
Would it be safe to use a steel punch to do this job?

Rick

While a steel punch would punch out the ball(s), you could possibly damage the threads in the nipple hole. You would be safer using a soft metal such as brass, aluminum, etc. Less likely to damage anything by scratching or gouging with the harder metal.

"Hey look it's the drunk piano player,your probably seein double!"

"I have two balls,one for each of ya" :rotf:

Billnpatti said:
While a steel punch would punch out the ball(s), you could possibly damage the threads in the nipple hole. You would be safer using a soft metal such as brass, aluminum, etc. Less likely to damage anything by scratching or gouging with the harder metal.

Thanks il find an alternative :)

Rick

I had to push a ball out once and I simply used my brass shotgun cleaning rod and it worked perfectly, just take the cylinder off the gun feed it through the nipple hole and give the handle of the cleaning rod a whack and presto!

ricky5042 said:
Regards

Rick

Assuming that you are in Dorset, England, a visit to your local model store might be in order. Look for the counter display of KS Metals - brass and alumin(i)um. The 3.5mm brass rod is what you are looking for.

Oh yes, keep count, too. :wink:

tac in yUK

I bought about 500 balls that were in little packages i think home casts or something. They all had this little cast nub on them. At first when i started shooting them i wasnt paying attention to where the little nub was and i had a few jam up in the chamber. I swear it felt as if i had loaded 2 balls in it or something. Every time i pounded the ball out there was only 1 in it. The little nub thing was so hard or something it caused problems when pressing it in.

What i used was a #16 nail. I used a dremel and cut the point off it and then used the flat spot threw the nipple opening to pound it out.

Back