• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yotebuster

32 Cal.
Reaction score
was looking a replacing the nipple in my Great plains rifle, Anyone recommend the best replacement??

Also have a T/C renegade, anyone recommend the best one for it too??

You might want to check with TOTW. They have a good selection of nipples.

As far as the t/c renegade goes I always had great luck using a t/c hot shot nipple. (1/4 x 28 thread)
Never owned a lyman GPR rifle but I do know they use a 6-.75mm metric thread. I also recommend Track of the wolf for purchasing muzzleloading supplies.

I got a few extras i could likely send ya. I dont sold all lymans these days. Total boycott !!

I've found that Jedediah Starr http://www.jedediah-starr.com
Has by far the most complete selection of Treso / Ampco (copper-beryllium) nipples of anyone.

While I do most of my buying from Track of the Wolf, Jed Starr has some stuff at better prices than anyone else. And he ships promptly, too.

I've used Ampco nipples for around 4 decades, and there are none better or more durable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Claypipe said:
2_Tall said:
I got a few extras i could likely send ya. I dont sold all lymans these days. Total boycott !!

Ok, what did I miss? Boycott? Why?
Because in the last year the quality control of Lyman has gone way down with their kit guns. One I built and one my buddy built the gun shot so far left the sights couldnt be moved anymore. Barrels sent back they returned them around 90 days later stating they were bored off center. The sight dovetail cut to big and crocked the stock sights for the cut came no where near to fitting from over cutting and obvious off center machining. The butt plate inletted 1/4 inch to deep on top of stock leaving a gigantic space that had to be fixed. ANd the latest came with a rib bolt drilled wayyyyy to deep and through the bottom of barrel and into the rifling which they told me like 10 times now on phone and emails to simply grind the screw down and it will not effect the function or safety of the gun because its like an older shot gun bead without a vent rib screwed into the barrel. Hows this right theres a hole in the rifling and will not be able to be cleaned properly. However they did offer to sell me a new barrel with 25% off. Note all were kit guns and mostly involved the barrel only. So thats where the problem is, and Lyman knows theres issues and many other member have complained about the same issues and lack of quiality control within the past year. Lyman has a serial number list of defectivly off center bores, but havent issued a recall yet that I have seen. There hoping it just goes away I guess because when i read them the serial number for the rifle they quit making excuses and were willing to work with me instead of stating I didnt know how to zero a rifle. Thats why I sold every last Lyman product I own..

I highly recommend Ampco nipples. They seem to last and last. I also recommend Track of The Wolf as an excellent source, not because they are the only ones selling the Ampco nipples, they aren't. I recommend them because of their excellent service.

Back