• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

new corn boiler dissapointment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I got a new corn boiler from Crazy Crow for Xmas. My first impressions are less than favorable. Their ad states:
The corn boiler is historically authentic for camp and trail, similar to a large cup but with a hinged lid, bail and lid loop. Ours are fully tin-lined and are heavy duty with a reinforced lid, lip and handle for rugged use. They're wonderfully versatile and may be used as a cooking pot or drinking mug. 24 oz capacity.
What I got was a boiler that while heavily built has spot welded furniture (handle, lid attachment, and bail attachment.) there is also no evidence of the bottom being soldered on or the side seam not to mention any tin lining. The picture in the ad is very misleading. I will be calling them after the holiday and doubt if I will be doing any more business with them. I also got a cup that was rusted around the rim and guess where they came from..India.

You have to always keep in mind that outfits like Crazy Crow are commercial suppliers and their stuff is mass produced for "the trade", not dissimilar to the fur trade of 175 years ago. have no idea what they charge for an item like that but the Forum's "Links" section will put you on makers who do the things from actual examples. Backwoods Tin & Copper, just to name the first listing, makes quality copies in copper or tin for $30 to $40. Crazy Crow, and others, are fine for certain items not available from other sources. Just send it back and order form them beads, tacks, leather, etc., that are safe to order from a big, commercial concern. Yes, I order lots of stuff from them but I'm careful not to for mass produced items that may come from overseas!

I’m holding back a mouth full of expletives. :cursing: I also got a folding skillet and a lead ladle from Turkey Foot trading and am totally pleased with their craftsmanship, well built and handmade.

Roger, wilco! It's tough keeping the blood pressure in line but sometimes you gotta pick your fights! :wink: The big commercial outfits can be a disappointment but think of it as 'humility training'! :thumbsup:

Crazy Crow and other retailers sell what is available and do so for a compettative price. If you want something else then you have to go the handmade or custom made route, at considerbly greater cost. Incidentally, regardless of the add, thinking nowdays says that the corn boiler has not been proven to be historically accurate.

colorado clyde said:
Yep, a couple of more credits for an already expensive education.

OK
In the spirit of education, The corn boiler though it has some attributes to a 18th Century tin kettle or cup is really a fantasy piece. It's pretty much a modern idea of what a 1940s GI mess kit it would have looked like in the 18th Century.

They're may have been little cup kettle contraptions used but they were Civil War era, the precursor to the World Wars mess kits.

So IMHO since it's a fantasy piece anyway, does it really matter?

They are kind of neat, I think they have use around the camp to a degree but if one is so concerned with historical accuracy that they inspect an item down to the seam, the corn boiler should not have been considered as part of the "kit" in the first place.
As always research research research.

True wasn't called a "Corn Boiler".
The Hudson Bay covered pot has some history.

81copper-pot-hudson-bay-st_zpsf50c8d4e.jpg

"Copper pot, Hudson Bay Style, 18th Century. This pot is possibly from the Maumee River Valley area. When a pot was no longer needed, the metal would be reused to make tools and weapons. Photo courtesy of Allen County-Ft. Wayne Historical Society"

Believe the 'mucket' was what the new "corn boiler" is trying to be a baby brother to.

http://www.hotdiptin.com/ A+

Can't beat Shay at Hot Dip Tin---ALL his stuff is historically documented, he often shows the original examples that he builds from, and his construction techniques are straight 18th/early 19th century. Some of the seam benders and methods others use didn't come in until around the CW. Plus his prices are very competitive.

A couple of other good sources are:
http://cunninghamtinner.com/#axzz1mawUdSXH
http://www.cg-tinsmith.com/

Sorry you're disappointed with Crazy Crow, try one of the others listed, I think you'll be much happier with them.

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the picture you posted the one you received or one from their ad?

I think what you got was one of the stainless steel cornboilers and not a tin one.

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

The picture was from their ad. Not stainless just cheap made in India that made it past Q.C.
It’s on its way back to Texas. Bottom wasn’t even soldered on, leaked like a sieve. I don’t have a problem with cheap knock-offs”¦..but they have to work. The lady I talked to at Crazy Crow was very nice and helpful.

Love those little pots. Sad to say to the purists that practicality sometimes wins.

A few years ago I found what are essentially indistinguishable-from-Rev-War rolled rim solid body stainless steel one pint cups at a dollar store in the laundry section. I bought every one they had of these small cups that had two good spot welds at top and bottom of the handles. They were, in fact, $1 each.

If you've ever broken expensive, fragile, tinware or heavy pottery or glass afield the novelty of correctness wears off and soon gives way to common sense. "Good and close enough" often wins out. 'cept for three I think I kept for myself I sold every one of a bag full of those "disposeable" mugs to everyone in a working unit I belonged to, and one guy lied and said he hadn't gotten one and bought a second they were so coveted! I've heated in, eaten and drank out of, them. GF too. Practical and sanitary. My main metal canteen is stainless too -- new tin if anyone cares to ask. Every year it's "if I can just get one more campaiging season out of this [fill in the blank]..."

If you are looking for something with a lid, the little quart sized HBC pots are nicely made---correct cramped seams, tin lined, with removable lid.
http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merch...t_Code=5566-006-001&Category_Code=820-300-000

There's also an earlier style being reproduced, with the lid doubling as a frying pan. The original is in the Museum of the Fur Trade.
http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merch...t_Code=5564-004-006&Category_Code=820-300-000

These are made in India, as well, but the quality seems to be better. I have one of the HBC pots, and have used it for years.

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Now that we have covered the gambit of Crazy Crow merchandise , what about Backwoods tin and copper. I know everybody has an opininon heck how often does somebody actually ask for it? fire -away! :haha:

Back