• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

DGW Tennesee Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know about a "Drop in" but lots of barrels out there that'll fit. I've changed out 2 or 3 with green mt. bbl. Where on O.P. are you? I lived up there for years, Port Orchard, Bellfair AND forks. Tom

Sequim !!! A really great ML club there the Penn. Long Rifles. They shoot up out a Sequim on lost mt. & rondy in July. If you haven't then check 'em out. They own their property and shoot 4th sun mo. ...Tom

It's .50 cal and 15/16" across the flats. My first thought was a rebore. That would be a plus 'cause it would lighten the barrel a bit. Am looking at all options.

15/16" x 41-1/2" .50 and straight! Yeah, mine is noticeably muzzle heavy, and I'm thinking of shortening it to about 34". It would shabe about 1# off, and all of that weight would be from the muzzle.

Bob Hoyt in Fairfield Pa could do the rebore.

I would send it to Bobby Hoyt if a rebore is applicable. Much cheaper & easier than changing the barrel, as everything is already fitted & ya just put it back. He has done several for me & did a nice job & was reasonable.

Keith Lisle

excess650 said:
15/16" x 41-1/2" .50 and straight! Yeah, mine is noticeably muzzle heavy, and I'm thinking of shortening it to about 34". It would shabe about 1# off, and all of that weight would be from the muzzle.

Bob Hoyt in Fairfield Pa could do the rebore.

That's exactly what I did to mine, including the Hoyt rebore.

Duane

+1 for Bob Hoyt ... superb work ... sometimes hard to reach, but worth the effort.

Good luck with your project!

I have shot it. I'm just not getting the accuracy I'd like. Before purchasing, I dropped a light down the barrel. It looked good-sharp rifling, not pitted. It was only later on I learned about checking for a bulge. Sure enough, 14" from the muzzle I detected a bulge not visible on the exterior. (Buyer beware!)Sounds like a rebore makes the most sense.

I have shot it. I'm just not getting the accuracy I'd like. Before purchasing, I dropped a light down the barrel. It looked good-sharp rifling, not pitted. It was only later on I learned about checking for a bulge. Sure enough, 14" from the muzzle I detected a bulge not visible on the exterior. (Buyer beware!)Sounds like a rebore makes the most sense.

Kobuk Kid said:

I don't think I'd want to mess with reboring the barrel with that bulge. Bobby would be able to tell you if it's a good idea although he'd probably want to see the barrel first. If it's not,that leaves two options. Cutting it back to 27 1/2" or a new barrel.

Duane

How can it be a bulge & not be detectable on the exterior ? :idunno: Could it be you mean it has a Sounds to me it may have a Loose or Relieved spot, and you can see it with a bore scope or light ? Bobby Hoyt can look at it & tell you what happened to it.

A Loose or Relieved spot has been said to happen now & then from power surges causing the drilling bit or reaming bit to suddenly increase speed when in the middle of boring or reaming a barrel.

If it is actually Bulged, I would not attempt a rebore, I would replace the barrel.

However if is is a loose spot, it very well could be salvageable. I have received several brand new barrels with loose spots in them.

Keith Lisle

Can you explain a Loose or Reliefed Spot for me? What I found was that if I push a tightly patched cleaning rod down the barrel, being very careful to maintain a constant pressure, there's a point 14" from the muzzle when the rod speeds up momentarily and then returns to it's former speed. I did this several times with different patches, always with the same result at the same spot. ??????

Kobuk Kid said:
Can you explain a Loose or Reliefed Spot for me? What I found was that if I push a tightly patched cleaning rod down the barrel, being very careful to maintain a constant pressure, there's a point 14" from the muzzle when the rod speeds up momentarily and then returns to it's former speed. I did this several times with different patches, always with the same result at the same spot. ??????

You found a "loose spot". If you can't see it on the outside, its not a bulge. How long is it?

Did you try .495" or .500" balls?

If accuracy can't be found as-is, rebore.

What you describe is a Loose or Relieved spot. Up to you, but I would send it to get it checked out. I have had 5 brand new Colerain barrels like that in the past 10 years. That is why I quit buying them, that & their poor breechplug fittings. But they will replace it if you send it to them, or they did all of mine anyway. It can be rebored if that is what it really is.
I tried using one & kept getting fouling buildup at that loose area. Made it really hard to load. Before & after it OK, but at the loose spot I had to hammer past it.

If it is actually bulged, you can take a steel straight edge & lay it across a flat & hold it to a light & see if light comes under the edge indicating a high spot.

Keith Lisle

Latest posts

Back