• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman gpr info ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Boar 58

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i'm sure this has been discussed before, but can't seem to locate it.

there is a lot of posts lately about quality control issues with lyman great plains rifle. i'm seriously thinking about getting one. but i would like to avoid quality issues. i would like to buy new, but after recent posts, i would also consider a used one.

question 1: about how long ago(what year) did the problems start?

question 2: how can you tell the year of manufacture (serial # ?)

thank you

The most numerous bad reviews have come just this year, 2013, there's always been a few each year attributed to poor shipping but things sure seem to have come to a peak.

Can't tell ya how to ID the year, :idunno:

re: date of manufacture - I'm on the road now and can't confirm this by looking at one of my GPR barrels, but I think you will find a proof mark/code stamped on the barrel near the IA (Investarms) mark, the two letter code will indicate year of proofing. For example one of mine is stamped BB, and I think that indicates 1994. You can google Italian Proof Codes and a number of charts will come up listing the code dates.

my son bought a new one back in 'o9, it had issues. Dealt w/Lyman directly for a replacement and that all went smooth. The second one was fine. I'd be real skeptical 'bout buying one thru the mail sight un-seen nowadays judging by what i read/hear.

Really wish I had made it to this forum earlier..it is like finding a line shack in a blizzard! Without the benefit of this thread i just purchased a almost new GPR from a guy (gun salesman) who had shot it a few times and put it up. The deal is done and I won't actually lay eyes on it for a couple weeks so i don't know what year it is”¦got to keep my fingers crossed he isn't getting rid of it because it has been a problem. As a FFL at a gun store he should have been able to get resolution with Lyman if there were problems”¦I hope!

Anyway this is just me grinding what few teeth I got left because I didn't pick up on these potential problems with the GPR when i did my due diligence on the WWW.

I got my lefthand .50 cal. GPR flint about a year ago - 2012 proofed. it and quality is all I expected, with additional BLO+Tung Oil finish applied.

I just got a lefthanded .54 cal. Deerstalker a few weeks ago. 2013 proofed, it needed some cleanup of residual wood chips under the lock, the touch hole liner drilled out to .067", and next time out, I'll use a bigger flint.

Ignition was slow with the original touch hole for both the GPR and Deerstalker pre drill-out, and greatly improved after the hole was enlarged.

Well I am still dealing with lyman over a 2013 proofed kit that the top rib bolt hole is drilled into and through the rifling and the told me to grind the bolt down and it will be ok like a bead on an older shotgun without a vent rib. 3 months and counting trying to get a new barrel to replace there mistake. They basically told me to go F-myself. Last year i sent a barrel back because it shot so far left you could get the sights moved enough to hit true. They sent a new barrel and a note saying they had a defective machine that was boring barrels untrue. And now my buddy got a factory built gun in the mail last week and the crowning on the barrel went a touch over 3/4 the way around then tappered up. Whats lyman say it will not effect performance whatsoever. I wouldn't buy a new lyman kit or factory gun unless i could hold it and examine it. Every issue with Lyman has been the barrel nothing else just wanted to say that.

Everyone who is having problems or had a problem with a Lyman product needs to send a Certified/Return Receipt letter to:

Lyman Products Corp
475 Smith Street
Middletown, CT 06457

Detail what your issues are with their products(s).

At the bottom of your letter put .cc and the following adjacent to cc:

Connecticut Better Business Bureau
94 South Turnpike Road
Wallingford, CT 06492

Send a copy of your letter to Lyman to the below:

Connecticut Better Business Bureau
94 South Turnpike Road
Wallingford, CT 06492

The Better Business Bureaus will get involved.

The last thing Lyman wants is a bunch hits with the BBB. The hits never go away and they affect Lyman's rating with the BBB..

I must have been very fortunate in that I've not had a bit of trouble with my GPR 54. I did buy it from Sportsman's Warehouse 8 years ago. I also have interacted with Lyman on a few issues like broken rod replacement as well as lost barrel keys with great satisfaction. Hopefully this trouble that seems to be going on will be ironed out soon.

Mike

MikeF said:
I must have been very fortunate in that I've not had a bit of trouble with my GPR 54. I did buy it from Sportsman's Warehouse 8 years ago. I also have interacted with Lyman on a few issues like broken rod replacement as well as lost barrel keys with great satisfaction. Hopefully this trouble that seems to be going on will be ironed out soon.

Older Lyman is okay, I have a GPR which is 6 years old or so, fit and finish is okay and I did replace the vent liner which was not a problem.

No real complaints on it, it's the recent rifles which folks are having problems with. There is no reason for the problems.

Another way, which some folks do not like the group, is send the NMLRA a letter of complaint about Lyman. Never known the results, spend 42 cents for postage or send and e-mail to the NMLRA. Lyman does not advertise in Muzzle Blasts though for some reason.

What can it hurt?

As long as Lyman sells inferior products and folks continue to buy them they will continue to sell inferior products.

In all honesty with the declining traditional muzzle loading market if Lyman dropped traditional rifles and pistols it will not affect their profit margin at the end of a year, they just do not care.

If folks would follow what I have set out, it will make a difference. maybe.

Older Lyman is okay, I have a GPR which is 6 years old or so, fit and finish is okay and I did replace the vent liner which was not a problem.

No real complaints on it, it's the recent rifles which folks are having problems with. There is no reason for the problems.

Another way, which some folks do not like the group, is send the NMLRA a letter of complaint about Lyman. Never known the results, spend 42 cents for postage or send an e-mail to the NMLRA. Lyman does not advertise in Muzzle Blasts though for some reason.

What can it hurt?

As long as Lyman sells inferior products and folks continue to buy them they will continue to sell inferior products.

In all honesty with the declining traditional muzzle loading market if Lyman dropped traditional rifles and pistols it will not affect their profit margin at the end of a year, they just do not care.

If folks would follow what I have set out, it will make a difference. maybe.

Well NOW Lyman knows they own the "hawkens style" entry level muzzleloader after TC quit making them. The other option being the Pedersoli hawkens kit (about same price as a GPR kit). I doubt they would care about a letter from sent to the BBB as well. They will state they simple just import the guns from a maker overseas anyways. But what other options do you have other then a Lyman GPR the next level of hawkens style weapons is the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain or missouri rifles at twice the price of the Lyman.. So when u have a monopoly of the markey u can turn out manure i guess.

2_Tall said:
Well NOW Lyman knows they own the "hawkens style" entry level muzzleloader after TC quit making them. The other option being the Pedersoli hawkens kit (about same price as a GPR kit). I doubt they would care about a letter from sent to the BBB as well. They will state they simple just import the guns from a maker overseas anyways. But what other options do you have other then a Lyman GPR the next level of hawkens style weapons is the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain or missouri rifles at twice the price of the Lyman.. So when u have a monopoly of the markey u can turn out manure i guess.

My Father taught me to look into the mirror each morning when you shave and look at yourself in the mirror and do what you know is correct and do so without any reservations. He won court cases that folks said could not be won.

I learned from him, do what is right in your own beliefs. I have sued and won, when I was told I could cannot win no matter what happened.

If folks would take Lyman to task, they can make a difference. If folks simply cave in, Lyman wins and the rest of us lose.

Believe as you wish, the BBB works, silence does not.

Richard Eames said:
In all honesty with the declining traditional muzzle loading market [color=red[color=red]][/color]if Lyman dropped traditional rifles and pistols it will not affect their profit margin at the end of a year, they just do not care.
[/color]
That's my thought also.

Often, the persons who are at the helm of a business, know nothing of what is happening in the shipping department. Unless, someone alerts them to what is going on. Then quality goes to pot. All it takes is for you to sit there complaining, and to do nothing.

One letter is a letter, many letters is a problem.

Man I have worn out a keyboard and phone talking to Lyman they simply do not care to assist me in correcting their screw-up.. They will reply with a email like its been written by a PR crisis writer and tell me its perfectly fine. Which its not if its fine there wouldn't be a hole drilled into the rifling.

Easy fix, contact your State's Attorney General, file an online complaint. Yes it a lengthy PITA online process, but it does get results.

Back