• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shutzen 3f powder opinions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
About a year ago I bought a pound of Shutzen 3f along with a few pounds of Swiss. I like the Swiss and have used it in my steel framed revolvers and single shot pistols. The Shutzen remains unopened as of yet. I have been contemplating using it in my brass framed revolvers because I hear it burns cleaner than Goex and isn't as hot as the Swiss. Its also cheaper if I get it straight from the source. I usually use Pyrodex P in my brassers but wanted to try the real black for a change of pace. What are your opinions those of you who have used the Shutzen? Is it cleaner than other powders and provide good performance?

Don

Don said:
About a year ago I bought a pound of Shutzen 3f along with a few pounds of Swiss. I like the Swiss and have used it in my steel framed revolvers and single shot pistols. The Shutzen remains unopened as of yet. I have been contemplating using it in my brass framed revolvers because I hear it burns cleaner than Goex and isn't as hot as the Swiss. Its also cheaper if I get it straight from the source. I usually use Pyrodex P in my brassers but wanted to try the real black for a change of pace. What are your opinions those of you who have used the Shutzen? Is it cleaner than other powders and provide good performance?

Don

Define what you consider cleaner?

Are you talking abut shooting a cylinder and cleaning or shooting a 10 cylinders without cleaning?

Pyrodex is the most corrosive of all the options.

In all honesty, open the un-opened can and conduct your own tests, then you will really know from first hand experience in your pistols.

Don't ask for key boarders to regurgitate what that they have read without practical experience, that is what you get, regurgitation without practical experience.

Go, shoot and learn on your own.

I fully intend to shoot the stuff and learn on my own but I thought some could share their experiences and impressions.

Don

I used Scheutzen for years till the club quit getting it.

To me it is on par with Goex, same POI per volume, maybe a bit cleaner, but that's subjective. At the time it was much cheaper than Goex but now not so much.

In my opinion if you like Goex you'll like Scheutzen.

Shoots same as 3F Goex in the 6 calibers I shoot, but cleans up in 1/3rd the time using 1/3rd the amount of patches!

Don't but Schuetzen powdah ... as I'm trying to keep it all for ME!!!!!!!!!!

What are your opinions those of you who have used the Shutzen? Is it cleaner than other powders and provide good performance?

I have used sceutzen 3f exclusively for about four years now. I find it to be a good powder and comparable to goex. I use it in everything; .36 rifle, .45 rifles, .50 rifles and .54 rifles as well as .44 old army pistol.

Can't see as I see much diff in the clean up or fouling dept. Hard to tell what with weather and humidity having so much to do with it.

Don't ask for key boarders to regurgitate what that they have read without practical experience, that is what you get, regurgitation without practical experience.

Guaranteed to be first hand non-regurgitated
info. :wink:

In 2 and 3F it's all I have used over the last year. I don't find it a lot cleaner than Goex but it burns well and cleans up easy. I intend to try the old E powder and perhaps Swiss to see in it's as much better as shooters say.

Geo. T.

Back