• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Polenta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I will have to confess to NOT being a menudo fan; when I see a "hoy menudo" sign at one of those converted van food stands I give the foot feed a push and accelerate on by.
That said, I have been enjoying my rounds of polenta fried in butter with the eggs and sausage for breakfast. I think I'll drizzle some maple surple on 'em this morning ....

Tijuana???
(How could you eat while dodging all the bullets flying around?)

Fwiw, I used to spend a lot of time in the RoM, but no more. = It's "inconvenient" that my favorite saddler and bootmaker are located in Saltillo.

yours, satx

Yeah, what's happened to Old Mexico- seems incredible folks used to pop over for dinner and dancing. I'm told it takes three hours now to get back into the States and to me at least- Mexico seems like it is getting out of control. The border along Langry- I was stopped three times at road blocks on U.S. roads by the border patrol. Pretty incredible.

What do you mean, "getting out of control"??? = It's been a HORRID MESS down in the RoM for the last 5 years or so.
(Of course, when you have our OBAMANATION directly involved in smuggling guns into our southern neighbor's country, that shouldn't surprise anybody who has a functioning brain. = "Can you say 'Fast & Furious', children?" "SURE, you CAN!")

Note: My adult, adopted and much beloved daughter has brothers & sisters in Mexico and the mere THOUGHT of her going down to even briefly visit her birth family "scares me to death".

yours, satx

Fwiw, I used to work cases on both sides of the TX & CA border, when I was a CID Supervisor & still have lots of friends in The Federal Judicial Police.
Also one of my old comrades is a CPT in the State Judicial Police of Nuevo Leon & "Raoul" has told me that it's simply UNSAFE for my daughter or I to BE in the country, even in "police company".

It must also be said that THE FOOTPRINTERS no longer have initiations & ceremonies in Mexico. = Our Mexican peace officers/members come to San Diego for our functions!!
(I truly miss having our IFA beach parties in Baja California.)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
Fwiw, I used to work cases on both sides of the TX & CA border, when I was a CID Supervisor & still have lots of friends in The Federal Judicial Police.
Also one of my old comrades is a CPT in the State Judicial Police of Nuevo Leon & "Raoul" has told me that it's simply UNSAFE for my daughter or I to BE in the country, even in "police company".
It's definitely a calculated risk (that I accept). If I wasn't riding with the Solo Angeles I'm sure I'd go less often. :wink:

Actually, never even heard of menudo. Sounds like more of the stuff the master throws to his dogs. Not for me, thanks...

I think Washington pretty much lived on tripe, and my Grandfather,who was a DY from (I shudder to say) Rhodes Island, just loved pickeled tripe. Tripe soup and dos eques the breckfast of champions.

Alden said:
Actually, never even heard of menudo.
Menudo is a traditional Mexican soup made with beef stomach and hominy in broth with a red chili pepper base. Usually, lime, chopped onions, and chopped cilantro are added, as well as crushed oregano and crushed red chili peppers. Ummmm Good!

I assume you've never heard of Pozole either? (Guess what? More hominy) :wink:

Since maize was a sacred plant for the Aztecs and other inhabitants of Mesoamerica, pozole was made to be consumed on special occasions. The conjunction of maize (usually whole hominy kernels) and meat in a single dish is of particular interest to scholars because the ancient Mesoamericans believed the gods made humans out of masa (cornmeal dough). According to research by the National Institute of Anthropology and History and the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, on these special occasions, the meat used in the pozole was human.[5] After the prisoners were killed by having their hearts torn out in a ritual sacrifice, the rest of the body was chopped and cooked with maize. The meal was shared among the whole community as an act of religious communion. After the Conquest, when cannibalism was banned, pork became the staple meat as it "tasted very similar", according to a Spanish priest.

Blizzard of 93 said:
I'm beginning to wonder whether I should have mentioned menudo.
as bad as the 'grits fight'. :haha:
Nah, it's okay. People who enjoy grits, menudo, polenta and pozole are content to let others miss out. That just means more for us. :wink:

That's like squirrel heads in stew. = Those "sensitive folks", who gag at the thought of eating the heads, leave MORE for me.

Question for "the gaggers" = What parts of a squirrel is NOT squirrel?

yours, satx

I didn't think one could make grits worse than just adding it to hot Velveeta Processed Cheese Product but you guys have managed it. You do understand that when you eviscerate an animal you're supposed to throw the manure away, not put it on grits, right? Obviously not.

Oh never mind...

:barf:

As my Mom used to say: "if someone MADE you eat that stuff you'd cry."

Have to go with you on the Velvetta...Ma Williams always went the butter & bacon route...and she was from St.Louis! When my Dad schlepped her to Texas, she rolled up her sleeves and discreetly asked her mother-in-law, "How do you make that stuff?" In one case, "stuff" referred to pecan pie using dark and light Karo syrup and cane & brown sugar..."Coma Pecan Pie"!

Latest posts

Back