• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Deerstalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBC in ID

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have another question about my recent aquisition of a Lyman Deerstalker in 54 cal. It is a left handed model, which is the way I shoot. The problem I have is that the cheek comb hits my cheek bone. After a short range session 10 to 20 rounds, I have a bruise on my cheek. I have a fairly thin face, although maybe if it were fat the comb would hit fat and not bone. I have never had this problem with any of my guns, many of which have a far harder recoil than my Lyman. Does anyone else have this problem with the Deerstalker? I guess I can break out the wood rasp, but the stain and finish are really nice on the stock.

Thanks,

Don

I can't talk to your issue.

But I will talk about the stock. If you want to reshape and refinish I say go for it.

Lyman uses some pretty nice Walnut for their stocks. In my opinion the finish does not do it any justice.

This is an original stock on a Trade Rifle - sanded, reshaped, and stained with a very dark stain. It was lurking under the factory finish.

blackbeautyrevisedpicture2rev1_zps06fb61c4.jpg

BrownBear said:
You might experiment a bit with where you place it on your shoulder. I find that can make a huge difference.

Keep your head vertical, and do not crawl up on the stock. If your cheek isn't forward on the comb, it can't bite you!

I have both right and lefty rifles and have had sore cheeks from either. Years ago I bought a Caldwell Lead Sled. It is a pretty good rest and weighs about 14 lbs IIRC and can take added weights to handle recoil. I use it without additional weight and my Deerstalker fits nicely in it. The fixed length of the front and rear rests are a bit short for longer guns so I take extra sand bags if I'm shooting my PA. rifle. This setup has saved me much shoulder, cheek and back pain and I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the ideas, lots of good things to think about. I find that I do creep up on my stock, but if I don't, I can't see my sight picture. Perhaps a Lyman receiver sight would help that. Galamb, after seeing your refinish job, it might be kind of fun to see what is hiding under the current finish. It doesn't take more than 1 shot to feel the bite. I went elk hunting a week ago and the 1 shot to discharge the gun bit me. Keep the ideas coming, all are appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

My end-of -the-day shots are shot from the hip at close range to a stump. No sore cheek or shoulder and it gives you a different boom then when shoulder fired, at least to me. Hold tightly. BTW it also feels cool.

how much powder are you stuffing in that thing, you might not need as much as you think.

Back