• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

one of my Favorite BP range storys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryED50

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at the range with my 1851 navy 36 and after being by myself for about three cylinders worth a gentleman stepped up to the spot next to me and pulled out of a case this beautiful single shot 50 cal percussion pistol. Bright blued steel barrel highly polished walnut wood. Looked like a Kentucky pistol that went to charm school. For a moment I felt a little plain but what the heck I have six shots to his one. I watched as he poured the powder in patched the ball rammed it home caped it and hit the bulls-eye 1st shot. I thought not bad.. But I can fire 6 times to that one.

Gary

I love my revolvers but the cleaning routine gets old some times. When I'm not up to a lengthy clean up my single shots go to the range. They are generally more accurate as well and thus make me feel like a better shot.

Don

Psychologists have a name for your response to the adjacent shooter called "rationalization." However, I call it envy. I know because I am envious of him and I wasn't even there. :doh:

I was glad to just see it :) He said he hadn't fired a minie ball yet.

You bet i was envious :)

Gary

I like the reaction when I load buckshot in my 62 caliber pistol. I always find it interesting when my revolver target is just as far away as the 9 mm guys and my shots are more accurate. I remind tell them I have an 8" barrel to their 4".

My favorite range story is when I met a young man fresh out of the military and just back from Afghanistan (3rd tour).
All yes sir no sir and very clean cut.

He was shooting what one would expect a veteran to have at the range and very good with it.

I had my Pope stock smooth bore rifle and a Zouave .58 caliber Musketoon shooting a 575.213 minnie.

We shot each others guns and had a very nice time together. The next time I saw him at the range he had a .54 caliber T/C caplock.

Next is to introduce him to my .54 Blue Ridge flintlock. :grin:

Last time i was at the range shooting my colt, a guy asked me if that was my carry gun.

haha!

Atthebench_zpsc92ec9dd.jpg

Long as you don't piss off more then 6 people at a time it would be a good carry gun

Gary

Cynthialee said:
When I find need to carry I wear my .44 Pietta 1851 on my hip.
...as the theme song of "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" plays in the background! :wink: Good for you, Cynthialee! :thumbsup:

You shoulda seen my pop. He would wear a dark suit with bolo tye, cowboy boots with spurs and cowboy hat, a six gun on his hip and a derringer behind his belt buckle. Daily. For years. Took my step mom about 15 years to break him of the habit.
Now there was a guy you could hear gunfighter music in your imagination when he walked into a room.

Holy Cow, I don't even remember one that bad and look where I live. In fact, I know two Texas Rangers personally and both are the most quiet, unassuming kind of guys you'll even meet. Unless they need to be otherwise. The closest I've real knowledge of was Frank Hamer, the man who got Bonnie & Clyde. In short, he wasn't the bumbling fool the movie made him out to be. The man was dedicated and beyond graft. I know a couple folks who knew him personally and they both comment how his gaze at you seemed to be seeing the ground about 10 feet behind you. Scary guy. When he died he'd told his son something like, "Son I've shot 52 men and one woman and I did it all right(meaning legally)and I go to bed every night knowing I did." When he died it was noted he had 3 bullets still in him and nearly a dozen scars for bullet wounds and knife cuts. That's one guy you always said "Sir" to! :thumbsup:

Not me, when I need to carry which is a lot here in AK while cutting wood, floating a river, fishing or even taking a bike ride, I almost always take a 4 inch 629 Smith with full power Keith loads.
A BP revolver is little better than sharp stick against critters that live here and close by even in town which you very well know having lived here. Mike D.

If I ever move back to AK and live in the bush there is no way in hell I would stick with my simple .44 BP revolver. I think the upgrade would be in the .357 modern range or better.
As it is the biggest critters around here are smaller black bears that have a rep for running away the second a person see's them.
My biggest animal target that is likely around here are Bobcats and Coyotes looking to steal chickens.
There was a Cougar that came through and killed a doe last summer but it was just passing through it seems. We haven't seen any sign of it since.

We still get hikers and bikers mauled right here in Anchorage almost every year by Browns usually and even blacks on occasion and moose. Had an older University of Alaska student stomped to death on the side walk in front of the student union some time back by and angry cow that had had enough of being pestered by students trying to run her off with snow ball.
It just makes good sense to belt up the short .44 mag even when going for a walk or bike ride in Campbell Creek park next door.
Brown sows and cubs come into town regularly looking for easy pickings they also follow the salmon streams down from the mountains that surround us.
A few years ago the fish and wildlife folks counted 60 tagged browns between Knik river and Aleyeska which roughly covers the Anchorage bowl from north to south. That does not include black, untagged browns and the two thousand moose that winter in the bowl.
My biggest .44 cap-n-baller would just piss them off even more, perhaps I could hide in the smoke for a minute. Mike D. :rotf:

Back