• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stretching gunflints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of diddling around with these things you should either just sell them to someone that uses that size or get another new gun that uses that size. You can never have too many guns you know.

I've never found a need to put a prop behind a flint to seat it out further. I use leather to hold the flints and just set the flint where I want it to be and clamp it down. As long as I snugged it in well, it stays put. For those that use props, what do you do as the flint wears/is resharpened - augment the prop or not adjust the position?

Regards,
Joel

Around these parts we have thorns like that off the "Honey Locust" trees. You are quite right in that they are very tuff and very sharp!!! If you are unlucky enough to puncture yourself with one (or more) of those thorns, you're in for a very sore time of healing !!! Old time farmers use to plant these Locusts (and Osage which has another wicked thorn!) as fence rows for livestock. BTW, very tough wood and when used as fence posts last a long, long time.......Horserod

Stumpkiller said:
Alden said:
Speaking of bloody, is that a thorn or actually a branch from the hawthorne bush -- the thorn were used as pins to close clothes, hold aprons on, etc. back in the day...

HPIM1060.jpg

Make good vent picks, too. I have two horns I attached the plugs with using these thorns.

But that piece in the jaws is part of a twig - they're tough as well.

Also the reason I don't wear moccasins and why I went to puncture resistant garden tractor tires!
I jabbed one of those in my leg just under my knee went right through my insulated overalls, pants and long handles. I had the doc dig it out 3 years later. Also had him dig the one out of my back.

Our mesquite have a similar harpoon...God really does have a sense of humor! Summer, a year ago, I was walking back around from the dam on our lake and noticed a beer can off the ground and thought it odd. Walked over and found someone had tossed out an empty aluminum can that'd hit at just the right angle and impaled itself on the thorn...real 'Holy Krap' moment! Wish I'd been smart enough to take a picture! :doh:

Boy,I don't know guys and gals, I can't seem to get a flint to stretch no matter how many twigs,thorns or leather patches I attach.
Pulling on both ends for all I'm worth and it won't stretch a lick! :rotf: "Merry Christmas" folks! Nothing happy about any holiday without "Christ" in the middle, far as I'm concerned! Mike D.

Swede50 said:
I jabbed one of those in my leg just under my knee went right through my insulated overalls, pants and long handles. I had the doc dig it out 3 years later. Also had him dig the one out of my back.

Years ago I was bowhunting and happened on a couple jakes. I worked like molasses up to them and was about to take a shot under a bunch of dogwood when I knelt on one of those thorns and it went up under my kneecap. I think the sound of my eyebrows knocking my hat off spooked the turkeys. Happily (?) I was able to slide the thorn out and I think I got it all - but that puncture was miserable for a long time. Months.

Wes/Tex said:
Our mesquite have a similar harpoon...God really does have a sense of humor! Summer, a year ago, I was walking back around from the dam on our lake and noticed a beer can off the ground and thought it odd. Walked over and found someone had tossed out an empty aluminum can that'd hit at just the right angle and impaled itself on the thorn...real 'Holy Krap' moment! Wish I'd been smart enough to take a picture! :doh:

We, did you ever think that those plants are so tough that they now drink beer instead of water?

I agree with the mesquite, Wes. I have hunted on leases in Freer, LaPryor, Mason, etc. but our local demons are things like Mexican Rose Hedge (which can never be gotten rid of) and wild blackberries. Farmers and ranchers alike burn, mow, Roundup, etc. to those rose hedges and they return every year no matter what.

Although, the biggest thorn I have ever seen was on a some type of grapefruit tree that one of my best friends parents had planted near their house. The tree itself had gone wild, I think, and was about 45 to 50 feet tall and had thorns 6 to 8 inches long and they were very tough. My friend and I used to climb the tree using those thorns but we had to be very careful. Republic of Texas citrus are also quite bad.:wink:

trent/OH said:
Wes, did you ever think that those plants are so tough that they now drink beer instead of water?
Not till now...thanks for the nightmare! :doh: :rotf:

trent/OH said:
We, did you ever think that those plants are so tough that they now drink beer instead of water?
Being the nature lover that I am, I always make sure the beer has been fully processed by my system before I apply it to the base of a mesquite tree.

:grin:

Latest posts

Back