• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flash Pan Safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago, I had loaded a Scottish flint pistol (replica) with a blank charge for a New Year's Eve salute. I checked the pan to make sure it was free from powder (it was), cocked it, and touched off the tricker. KA-BOOM!!!! Yes, those sparks can bounce right into the touchhole.

I think we can safely conclude that an unprimed pan alone is less dangerous than a primed pan, but not "safe" compared to plugging the touch hole. My state tries to teach that an unprimed pan is as safe as an uncapped rifle, and legally considers a flinter with an unprimed pan as "unloaded"... giving the novice a false sense of safety.

LD

Learning of this over the years is one of the reasons why I take the added measure of taping the vent shut tight to prevent AD's when transporting a loaded rifle and/or knapping a flint on a loaded rifle while out hunting.
It also provides the added advantage of ensuring moisture stays away from the main, prevents the errant drop of coffee from hitting the vent, etc.
Dry adhesive duct tape (no residue), get ready to hunt, peel it off, stick it on the off side lock panel for reuse. Simple, safe, peace of mind.

I guess I don't understand the problem, no surprise. So a gun can fire with an empty pan... what's the practical application of that fact? I transport my loaded guns with the frizzen open and the hammer down, can't imagine any scenario when I would do so with the frizzen closed and the gun cocked. Anytime the frizzen is closed and the hammer cocked there is powder in the pan and I damned well know it.

How does a hammerstall make a gun more safe if the frizzen is open and the hammer down?

Spence

George said:
How does a hammerstall make a gun more safe if the frizzen is open and the hammer down?
I see you replied to Many, but since he made no mention of a Hammer Stall, I wonder if your comment was prompted by my photos I posted to simply show how I tape the vent?

The photos do show a Hammer Stall in place, but only because that's where I keep them...I made no mention of using them on an open pan as a safety measure.

To further clarify, I use Hammer Stalls on my Flintlocks for their intended purpose...as a safety for a loaded/primed Flintlock...and as we all know Hammer Stalls normally occupy one of two positions:
1) Installed on a Frizzen as they were designed for;
2) Hanging down on a tether several inches long where they risk getting caught up on all sorts of things while hanging under a gun during any form of gun handling;

Therefore, except during the execution of a shot while hunting or repetitive shooting at a range, I personally keep my Hammer Stalls on the Frizzens for obvious reasons, even when a Flintlock is cased in the safe...the photo simply shows it as it's routinely installed.

I wasn't responding to your picture specifically, Roundball. I do the same with mine, leave it on the frizzen even when the gun is unloaded, frizzen open, hammer down, simply as a natural place to store it. But, I've seen prior discussions in which someone recommended it be kept on during transportation as a safety measure, this conversation simply reminded me of that. Sorry for the confusion,

Spence

I don't like to carry with the frizzen open personally as It looks to me like a good way to break it off bend it if dropped or hung up on a stout tree limb.
For me the safest way to carry is with a soft black wire ,round ended pick left in the flash hole with the frizzen down on it and the hammer at half cock.
I like the hammer stall idea for keeping the frizzen dry and the surface clean and in good strike condition. Mike D.

George said:
I've seen prior discussions in which someone recommended it be kept on during transportation as a safety measure, this conversation simply reminded me of that. Sorry for the confusion, Spence
I recall that conversation as well...different strokes for different folks...but for me personally, I worried that approach still left the main charge accessible through the open vent

Accessible to what? Someone going to flick their Bic at the touchhole? :haha:

Spence

Any possible external ignition source, whatever it might be...in an out of the vehicle, who knows.

We ALL know unexpected $/&;@?#% happens, can't deny it.
My approach to safety is like crossing a busy highway...I look BOTH ways, ALL the time...not just one way or some of the time.
:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Only speaking for myself; I don't normally tape or plug the vent hole in transit or in the woods. What I "do" do is to use the hammer stall like a safety on a modern rifle. By that I mean the hammer stall is always on the frizzen with the cock down when in transit. In the woods the cock is on half cock with the hammer stall on the frizzen. When I settle into my spot/stand/cover the rifle goes to full cock with the hammer stall still on the frizzen. If game is spotted the hammer stall comes off. No shot taken? Then the stall goes back on. Works for me but just my way.

I really think this topic is a "lot of talk" about nothing.....have been hunting w/ my flintlock since 1978 and seeing I just use some common sense, I have NEVER had my flintlock LR fire unless it was intended.

Don't use any safety contraptions and when the LR is no longer "hunting", but has a bbl charge, the pan is empty, hammer is down and the frizzen is erect. This has served me well and don't see a reason to change.

Shooting and hunting w/ a flintlock requires some modicum of common sense.....as does using any firearm......Fred

The apparent answer to this issue is that you Spence still have comonsence and a logical though process ,it has been my observation that of late that these traits may not be a widespread as we think . :wink:

Well, there certainly can't be anything wrong with trying to figure out the many ways we can get in trouble with gun safety, but it does seem to me that people sometimes let their imagination run away with them. I wouldn't shoot much if I had to go to the extreme measures some describe. I've never found staying safe with them to be all that complicated.

There was a Sioux chieftain named Young Man Afraid of His Horses. If I were an Indian they would call me Old Man Not Afraid Of His Guns. :haha:

Spence

George said:
There was a Sioux chieftain named Young Man Afraid of His Horses. If I were an Indian they would call me Old Man Not Afraid Of His Guns. :haha:
Spence
Yes sir...I can certainly see that! One geezer, not a'feared of much!! :wink:

In the strictly FWIW category: "Tasunkekokipapi" (tah-SHOON-kay-ko-kee-PAH-pee), a mouthful in any language, should actually be thought of as "they-fear-his-horse" and basically meant he was such a 'mean-motorscooter' the enemy got the 'nervous-willies' just at the sight of his horse, not 'himself, in person'!! Stuff loses a lot in translation! Just have to figure out how much of it was 'horse' and figure out how to put 'fowler' in it's place and we'd have a mouthful to call you!! :haha: Either that, or "Dirty Dances With Wolves"!! :rotf:

Forums are such a window into the mentality of our population, LOL...this thread is a perfect example.

For the record, I don't give 2 hoots what anybody else does for safety, and haven't once advocated that anyone follow any safety practices that I choose.

:grin:

Latest posts

Back