• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Parched maize grits is what the natives swallowed as an appetite suppressant. It would expand in their bellies and make them feel full. They also never invented the wheel.

Now I will defend grits when necessary. I have heard good men say that grits isn't fit for a pig, and when this happens I have to look them straight in the eye and say "yes it is"!

And if you guys think grits, especially that thickened no-refrigeration-required-Velveeta-based soup you call cheese grits, is Heaven you are delusional and in South Carolina which many would consider quite the opposite.

"Whereas, throughout its history, the South has relished its grits, making them a symbol of its diet, its customs, its humor, and its hospitality, and whereas, every community in the State of South Carolina used to be the site of a grits mill and every local economy in the State used to be dependent on its product; and whereas, grits has been a part of the life of every South Carolinian of whatever race, background, gender, and income; and whereas, grits could very well play a vital role in the future of not only this State, but also the world, if as Charleston's The Post and Courier proclaimed in 1952, "An inexpensive, simple, and thoroughly digestible food, [grits] should be made popular throughout the world. Given enough of it, the inhabitants of planet Earth would have nothing to fight about. A man full of [grits] is a man of peace."

Indians did invent the wheel,they just had no use for it with out draft animals that were non existant until europeans brought them.
Grits was more then fair exchange for draft animals.In fact 1/3 of table foods today came from america.grits beats the hell out of boiled potatoes.I'll enjoy a bowl of grits and some succatash,maybe an enchilada or two and leave the black pudding and brussle sprots to the denizens of europe

Last edited by a moderator:
The travois was theirs. Often used with dogs. Otherwise pulled by hand. And with horses and such after the 16th C. Hundreds of years of horses. Yeah, some places didn't have great roads for wheels, I know, so why ever use one...

tenngun said:
...and leave the black pudding and brussle sprouts to the denizens of Europe
Both delicious!
And being a denizen of Europe, there are many other New World foods that scare the manure out of me... :wink: :wink:

Exactly, like the tomato. Who was the first idiot to try eating one of those? You can TELL it's poisonous just looking at the damn thing!

And grits cain't be any too good for you nohow neither... See, just talking about it kills braincells!

Let's not forget milk.
Who thought it was a good idea to drink something that tastes & smells like a watery suspension of rancid fat? :barf:

As to that whoever came up with the idea of putting meat or fish in a can, must have been truly sick in the head, :youcrazy: and lutifisk should be outlawed in all 50 states. :barf:

:eek:ff SEE this is why I'm a fat guy. I'm :barf: sick with the flu or some such thing, & yet lutefisk is the only thing you'll have listed that I wouldn't sit down & eat right now :idunno:

Heck I'd eat a roast off the horse the Indian pulled his travois with.

Its true Indians used travois,packs and haversack like bags making no use of the wheel.How ever through out the american south west up in to the moderen states of utah and idaho caves have turned up wheeled devics and parts of wheels.Very small. The Mesoamerican and south American civilzations made toys mounted on wheels.
We think of Googthe caveman inventing the wheel,in fact it was the steep people of westrn asia who put it on thier carts.Mespopotamian civilazation had no use for them until the steep people introduced them to traction animals.Bedoin people still have no use for them.
One good thing about a wheel is it wors on a car that I can drive to a store to buy grits:)

Last edited by a moderator:
What good is a wheel if you are nomadic and there are no roads? The NDN (North and South America) really need to be credited as the greatest agriculturalists in the world. Most Nations contributed one or two vegetables- I think the carrot came from Afghanistan, the Orange from China, etc. In the New World, corn, potato, tomato, pumpkins, squash, beans, tobaco, fish used as fretilizer.
Over 110 responses on grits. How about that.

crockett said:
In the New World, corn, potato, tomato, pumpkins, squash, beans, tobaco, fish used as fretilizer.
Over 110 responses on grits. How about that.

FYI, tobacco plants were originally imported from the Middle East,(Which by the way, if the guy who did it was caught, he would have been put to death) :hmm: , however I agree with the concept that the natives didn't need the wheel. Based on the terrain, the travois was a much more efficient mode of hauling your stuff. :2

I think you are confusing coffee with tobacco. The natives here were smoking assorted tobaccos in North and South America (where it was sweeter-smoking) when white men arrived to take note of it -- it was prehistoric here.

As for wheels, other places that used them didn't look at roads and wonder how best to travel down them. "Ah, ya know those wheels we built and had no use for!?" North America is a big place -- there was no terrain for wheels? But there was in Europe!? What kind of "noble savage" politically correct nonsense is this!?

And I think grits would make a good ashtray mix that cigars and cigarettes could be extinguished in. I think... Might even add some flavor and nutrition.

Wes/Tex said:
From the photo above, it appears the French contributed portable fire! :shocked2: :rotf:
And the most pristine milsurp we've ever seen...

:rotf: Yeah, as for weapons, never fired; dropped once...

tastes & smells like a watery suspension of rancid fat

Not to mention letting it ferment, and then using it as an adult beverage. :barf:

WAIT what was this thread about??

:eek:ff :idunno:

(writes the guy who mentioned chili)

LD

You are obviously a Damn Yankee through and through and are genetically lacking any predisposition for loving grits as God had intended for you to. :hmm: Speaking negatively of grits the way you have been doing could lead to your having to smoke a turd in Purgatory. :haha: So, give me your bowl of grits and you take this bowl of lutefisk :barf:. :rotf: :rotf:

Taint got nothing to do with grits, but....The Inca and the andian civilization before built good roads and the children pulled toy dogs and toy lammas around on whealed feet. But didn't put wheels to work. In mesopotamia the Akadians were using potters wheels but didn't use any wheeled trans port until invading Indo-European speaking horse men showed up with wheeled carts . The Egyptians knew about wheels and pushed big rocks around on rollers,but didn't make any wheeled transport until the invading Hykos showed them how around 1600 bc. Greeks learned about the wheel at about the same time the Egyptian were hitching donkeys to chariots
(yes donkeys) from the Hittites. They taught it to the Celts and Itialians.
Oh I know what this has to do with grits ...The wheel gave the bases for a technologicol civilazation that could make long distant ships that could transport the people of that benighted land to the land of grits :rotf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back