• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wet weather ideas work

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstoch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Great hunt Saturday. 6 Blue Wings shot over decoys and a lot of white smoke from some misses!
Brown Bear's electrical tape over the muzzle kept my powder dry and a little baggie over the caps kept out the rain. No misfires. Thanks for the ideas. Found my load for teal to be 1 1/8 oz By Volume of 2f, nitro card, 1/2 felt lubed wad, 1 1/4 oz. ITX, and shot card for the cylinder barrel. Because of the short distance most birds fell to the cylinder barrel. The modified was to tight at short ranges. Only one of the 6 were taken with the mod and he was pretty torn up. I may need to back down to 1 oz powder BV on the modified for close in shooting. Any thoughts on that would be helpful.
Here's a pic from yesterday.

Congrats buddy. Sounds like you got that shotgun dialed in. By the way, what size shot are you using?

Jeff

That's getting it done! Excellent.

Assume you're using the #6, and delighted to see they worked so well.

Long as I'm adding questions, what kind of distance were you shooting?

Thanks for the useful report.

Almost all my duck hunting is over decoys and I use # 6 ITX or Nice shot. Going forward I will use the ITX because of cost. I do not intend to use steel in my Pede. Both ITX and Nice seem to preform like the #6 Heavyshot I used in my Reminton 870 the last 5 years. SOOOOO much better than steel. I still have 8 boxes left from last year and I would use the shot out of those if I did not need to use a shot cup to protect my barrel. When big duck season starts in November I may try #4 as the birds get decoy shy.

Bear, nothing over 20 to 25 yards and a lot were much closer than that ( 10 yds). I think that is why the modified barrel was not working for me. The guys I hunt with are all using Improved cylin or skeet chokes in their 26 inch autos. Sadly they had to wait on me to finish out my limit. Even with speed shells (below)my reloading is still slow.

makes me wonder what a flintlock fowler would do in terms of waterfowl hunting. Take in the fact that, everyone where I lived in south Louisiana duck hunts except for me. I think that was a good day. But down the bayou, people would laugh at me even if I showed up with a single shot cartridge shotgun. But nothing better than doing it like the ancestors did.

Good hunt, for sure. Pass shooting will keep you humble and decoys only less so! Would have been great to try here but it came down in buckets, for a change, and we need rain too much to do an anti-rain dance!

To mark3smle:
Flintlock fowlers work as well but you just have to remember to follow through with a flinter. It'd become second nature with practice but at first you need to mentally remind yourself to stay with the swing. Give it a try sometime, it's contagious.

Back