• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stock repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurts

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a longrifle with a crack in the wrist needing repair, is there anyone in the manning,lake marion area of sc that can do the repair

Do you not feel confident enough to make the repair yourself? There have been a number of threads on this subject that a search will bring up. Plus many here can help.
It may be a do it yerself fix.
But to help you :photoSmile:

what i have is a cracked wrist, not broken all the way through. i can fix it just looking for someone who knows how to inject the right glue all the way into the crack. will only get one shot at this would like to get it right the first time.

Usually injecting glue is done from inside the stock after drilling a hole down into the crack.
The drilled hole is filled with thinned wood glue and a snug fitting dowel is used to push the glue into the crack from the inside out,like a hypodermic syringe. It often helps to put a bit of pressure on the stock to bend the crack open to allow the hydraulic action on the thinned glue to permeate every fisher in the damaged area.
When the glue extrudes to the outside of the crack, wipe off the excess glue and rubber band or surgical hose it together and lay aside to dry. Mike D.PS It wouldn't be a bad idea to leave the hardwood dowel in the drilled hole cutting it off where it emerges on the stock interior as it will reinforce the wrist greatly.

that is somewhat my plan, just would have liked to find someone local that has done this type repair before. thank you for your replys.

cub45 said:
that is somewhat my plan, just would have liked to find someone local that has done this type repair before. thank you for your replys.

Not an uncommon repair, even historically.
I would strong advise you DO NOT use Gorilla glue. :nono: Messy, can cause problems and leaves a visible glue line that cannot be stained.
I favor good wood glues like TiteBond II. I do not like TB III as it leaves an ugly glue line that cannot be stained.
I also reccomend the use of brass pins for strength. The ends will show, but, to me, this is not bad as it is just part of the story of the life of the rifle.

I agree with the Titebond choice. I have usually been able to hide any dowel reinforcement by removing the tang and drilling a hole in that area to hide it under the tang or through the trigger guard. The way I do it,is to first glue the crack up and get it all lined up and clamped. After that is well set in a day or two, then I drill through the areas I said, to install the pins. My personal choice is wood pins, so it has the same expansion and contraction rate as the rest of the stock. Be sure to cut some grooves in the wood dowels so that the pressure of inserting the pins does not hydraulic the crack back open. Others like metal pins. There you can use a piece of bolt or all thread as the threads will allow for the hydraulic pressure to relieve itself. These are the 2 ways I am familiar with and like I said, my personal choice is the wood dowels. I will do anything to hide the fact that the stock has been cracked and so far I have got away with it. There are other ways that work well for others though.

Others like metal pins. There you can use a piece of bolt or all thread as the threads will allow for the hydraulic pressure to relieve itself

My choice is brazing rod that you can easily thread with a die. It is stiff enough to tap in with a hammer and is strong. The ends polish up looking like brass.

Depending on the extent of the crack gluing alone might work. If you have access to an air gun you can blow glue into a crack after opening it up as far as possible. Dowelling down from the tang recess to the trigger guard also works. all these measures should be taken as a possible cure as all cracks are different. The modern glue mentioned is usually stronger than the wood if you can get it into the right places. Good luck.

I've seen a few brass rod or nail repairs and they do add character to the arm but all the ones I've seen looked like they were done while still in the field on the hunt. Rough to say the least!
Another repair I don't care for is the wire, leather wrap or side plates with screw fixes for broken wrists.
Much better to dowel reinforce stocks to begin with so cracks rarely occur. There just is not much wood for strength in the lock area of muzzle loading rifles after all the cut outs are made. Mike D.

Back