• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First day for squirrels in Southern Illinois.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I walked to the woods for some hunting this morning before work. The squirrels were cutting on walnuts and some hickories. Connected on 2 in the tops of the trees, in about 1 hour of hunting. I used my 36 cal. with 40 gr. 3f. I'm going to need to find a much lower power load, as the shot takes out too much meat, even with a head hit.

photo by okawbow, on Flickr

Nice shoot'n, fried or stewed? How long is the barrel on your rock-lock? Look'n to git me a squirrel gun in .36 cal sometime this year so let me know what load you finally arrive upon...thx! :v

Fried with biscuits and gravy. But only the nice young ones like these. The others go in the crock pot.

My Bedford has a Green mountain, 42" barrel. I've cut the powder down to 20 grains 3f, but the accuracy starts to suffer.

And so the stories begin.
Just on time, I was going through withdrawal from turkey season.
Thanks for the story and photo.

PJC

Nice job! Glad we're getting to the part of the year where the game pictures start again.

If you find a load in the .36 that doesn't decapitate them and is still accurate, let me know. I made the mistake of shooting my first .36 cal squirrel up the rear as he faced away from me up the tree. It came down in pieces. And that was with 30 grs. :shake: Head shots only from then on.

I have so many squirrels around here that I could limit out just by walking down the street. But I think the neighbors would pitch a fit. I hope there are as many in the woods as around my house.

armakiller said:
I have so many squirrels around here that I could limit out just by walking down the street. But I think the neighbors would pitch a fit. I hope there are as many in the woods as around my house.
I got squirrels everywhere here in Kansas and the season is open as well but right now they have a weird parasite in the and told will go away once it cools off. I was wondering why I was the only one out in the heat opening day.

nice shootin'! cant wait for fall here,season has been open since May but it's way too hot to be in the woods.

Squirrel season here in Alabama starts Oct. 1st and ends Feb. 28th. Plenty of time to finish my .40 cal. an get in the woods. :thumbsup:

Our squirrel season starts in Sept. It's hot even then so I'll wait for cooler days. My .36 is a SMR flint with a 38" x 3/4" barrel. I'm currently fine tuning a load and should have it worked out by the end of the month.

wohoo!!!! huntin season startin soon. cant wait to get in the squirrl woods with my wonderful wife

Looks like you had a fine morning. I would love to get a smaller caliber rifle to hunt squirrels. Good job!!

Great to see food pic's again....Now if I was toting that rifle you'd find me sitting at the base of a nut tree just having cuddle time :thumbsup:
Bob Hoyt can line that barrel to 32 cal. or smaller. :hmm:
Currently in month 2 of 6-8 month wait for a 36 to 32 conversion.
A T/C Cherokee in 32 cal will distract me till then.
Thanks for breaking the dry spell.

photo by okawbow, on Flickr[/quote]

I bet that they are proud to have been harvested by that fine looking rifle! Geo. T.

Very nice!
2 weeks to go until my squirrel opener. I can't wait to get the .36 out in the woods again!

Back