• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Its finally for sale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy Johnson said:
Don't make too much about the 800, tell your wife you got a $2000 discount, And that was without coupons.
Seriously, deals like that don't come along often. Jump on it. You can cover the cost somehow at a later date.

+1 big time!!

what a great deal! go for it!

Deposit is paid and he told his wife in front of me if anything happens to him the gun is to go to me. His wife was more than happy to see me as the soon to be new owner.

Nobody "sniping and running" (as you say) I am here everyday fella!
It sounds as though you wish to get in a pissing match right from the start :shake:

I will not get in a barrel brand debate with you.
Lets just say, I have noticed less than stellar performance from several Colerains.
YMMV, Have a good day sir!

I have never owned a coletrain barrel myself I am interested to hear what issues people are having with them.

I just ordered one for new gun.
According to gunbuilders, Colerains require more work on the outside and are rough comparing to e.g. Rice.
They are very fine shooters but some of them had (don't think still have) have some quality control issues like having tight spots near lugs or unfinished rifling.
Many builders place them along with Rayl, Rice and others so it's not like it's a manure. Tip Curtiss uses them. Need I say more? For a "competitor" like me it's a fine barrel for sure.

That's a fair assessment. Some love them and some don't. Trust me this gun will be shot, I have shot it and theres no accuracy issues associated with the gun.

Kinda wondered about the Colerain barrel comment too, and nearly impuning a friendship. No other substance or explanation & when someone calls you out to provide more insight, you get kinda snippy.

Methinks you need more fiber in your diet.

Amikee said:
....have some quality control issues like having tight spots near lugs or unfinished rifling....

Careful Amikee, that's how rumors get started. I've also heard of some occasional QA issues with Colerain but those are two I have not. Prehaps someone has misslead you or your confused.

Tight spots near lugs isn't a barrel maker problem, it would be the gun builder as the barrel mfg. doesn't install the lugs....it's done during the gun building process.

Now, Colerain has admitted to producing some barrels with tight spots in the bore that they attribute to power surges speeding up or slowing down their equipment during the reaming operation. It's easy to check for and they've made it right in the instances I've heard of.

Unfinished rifling? That would be a problem with a barrel maker, but not one I've heard about Colerain.

Outside finish/appearence? I've seen some really nice Colerains and some not so nice.....same can be said for Rice or Green Mountain or anybody who deals in that volume. More of a problem for the builder and not the gun buyer, as the builder is responsible for finishing the barrel. The Rayls I've seen were clean, very clean, but then you wait and wait and pay for that.

Some have reported that they received short breeched barrels from Colerain. I have not. I debreech every barrel I buy....any builder should. Trust, yet verify. If Colerain is guilty of improper breeching, they're not the only ones. It's the builder's responsibility to ensure it's done right.

2Tall, Don't fret over a Colerain. Your friend would have know if the barrel was bad when he ran a patch down the bore or shot it. If he says it's served him well, it has. Colerain's shoot well.

Enjoy, J.D.

I'm pretty sure I came across this info on this forum, but can't tell you exactly which topic it was. I was doing a research on Colerain since I was getting one. That's not saying I agree or disagree with this info. That's why I put "according to..." in front of it. Hope this clears the post.
;)
Like 2_Tall os saying, some love them some hate them.

Many online references say Colerain barrels are great shooter and that's what I based my feelings on. Obviously one cannot trust internet entirely, but when my builder suggested this I was confident that he is not using junk.
amikee

AZbpBurner said:
Kinda wondered about the Colerain barrel comment too, and nearly impuning a friendship. No other substance or explanation & when someone calls you out to provide more insight, you get kinda snippy.

Methinks you need more fiber in your diet.

Had I been approached in a respectful manor and I would have responded in a respectful manor.

2 Tall, Not knocking your rifle, If your happy thats all that counts.
Personally I am not a Colerain fan. But thats a heck of a deal with any barrel on it.
I have not been around near as many as JD, or some others, But two of the few I have been around were not impressive while others seemed OK. One was a fine shooting rifle that just went south for no reason. The other never shot good from the start. That was enough to create a bad taste.
Hope you have great luck with your new toy and lots of fun.

Ditto on what JD sez......

And as Baxter's builder...his is perfect, when UN-breeched the rifling was just fine, and smooth as a hydrolic ram~~~smooth.......

his will shoot so far and so accurate, he has to put salt on the boolets before loading..... :blah: :rotf:

I've only used one Colerain barrel, (on my last build) but it was everything advertised and more ... had no problems with it ... wouldn't hesitate to use another.

I submit that your initial comment was incomplete wrt your personal experience with Colerain barrels, explaining why the gentleman selling the rifle might not be doing a favor, including the "laughing face" icon. I do apologize if my "sniping" comment offended; perhaps I was as "quick on the trigger" as you were. No pissing contest here, I am new to flintlocks and interested in factual, personal experiences rather than retorts, hence my perhaps unfriendly comment, sir.

Back