• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniellawecki

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I haven"t shot a frontstuffer for along time is 80grs of Pryrodex RS-FFG Equivalent and a .50 cal {355gr} a good starting load. :doh:

You could start a little lower, say 60 gr and work up 65, 70, 75, you may decide the 80 gr is a good final load.

daniellawecki said:
I haven"t shot a frontstuffer for along time is 80grs of Pryrodex RS-FFG Equivalent and a .50 cal {355gr} a good starting load. :doh:

Hmmm. 80gr of Pyrodex RS is the equivalent of 100gr of FFg.

You might just care to take the avice offered above and reduce it to start with.

tac

And since you're new here
Let's make sure this is a percussion gun and not a flintlock

Sorry a little back ground on me. I reload and cast boolits mostly revolvers. This gun was my friends he past away his daughter gave me all his guns. We last shot this gun in 1980s T/C Renegade 50 cal also Ruger Old Army 44cal both where in factory box. The manuals were not there so I'm doing alot of reading and asking ?. I shoot a very lot 3-4 times a week. Oh its not a flint lock

"80gr of Pyrodex RS is the equivalent of 100gr of FFg."

I thought Pyrodex was equivalent to BP? That is 80 grns is equivalent to 80 grns.

Ive been watching this looking for more answers to that... I thought it was the other way around.. Recently I was shooting a .50 cal, that my usual load is a 80 grn charge of pyrodex rs (2f) and I used some schutzen (3f) loads and the same 80 grn charge seemed to kick more, and be a lot hotter. I know 3f is hotter than 2f, and im not worried about the charge, I know that gun is good to at least 150 grn pyro rs. (ive never used over 110grn or so). One of these days ill get that chrono ive been wanting for years, Its climbing on my list of priorities :grin:

welcome to the forum ... for best accuracy, you may want to consider Dutch Schoultz' method. It's available here:
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

and although it may seem a bit spendy at first glance, it's far and away the best accessory I've ever purchased...

make good smoke!

Last edited by a moderator:
rodwha said:
"80gr of Pyrodex RS is the equivalent of 100gr of FFg."

I thought Pyrodex was equivalent to BP? That is 80 grns is equivalent to 80 grns.

The equivalence of black powder to Pyrodex is in a volume measure. So 80 grains weight of pyrodex is equal to 100 grains weight of black powder. So when you measure Pyrodex, use a volume measure.

Be careful and don't overload your rifle.

Right. :)
Pyrodex is intended to be measured by a volume method.

A powder measure that measures out 80 grains of black powder will measure out the right amount of Pyrodex to create the same amount of power that 80 grains of black powder will make.

If the actual weight of the Pyrodex load this powder measure throws was found using a powder scale it would be about 2/3 of the weight that the same amount of black powder would weigh.

Back