• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bedford county long rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Jordan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys im looking at picking up a bedfrd county long rofle in 50 cal 42" green mountain barrel by J D Belcher,my question is has anyone heard of this jentleman and do they know his work. rifle looks pretty curly maple with copper trim lr lock system. Slightly used. Any information would be helpfull. ThankYou :hmm:

Never heard of him but I've seen the gun you are referring to.

No offense meant to Mr. Belcher, but it's unklike any Bedford I've ever seen and that's quite a few. Enjoy, J.D.

If it's the one I saw on the website of a large mail order company it is a poor example of the school. The badly done carving, details and stock architecture make me wonder if the builder ever handled a Bedford gun.

What a coincidence, I just finished looking at that rifle on another site.

I've never heard of the gentleman, but I agree with J.D., it's unlike any Bedford I've ever seen.

However, with a Green Mt barrel, it probably shoots just fine.

you guys have given me a lot to think about .Im not familiar with a bedford rifle so I cant comment on that .The rifle itself Looks pretty good and i have the same thinking as far as the green mountain barrell.Just trying to decide wether to go for that or a pedersoli Deluxe frontier 50 cal with curly maple or try Mr. Belchers rifle.Whats uall's opiniun on tht.This will be the only real custom rifle i have ever owen and I want something that will last forever. Thanks Guys :hatsoff:

I think if its the only custom you'll have I would save your money an buy a rifle from a known maker in the "school" you want instead of buying a rifle that doesn't "look right" from a unknown maker.

Do your research before you consider buying and you will come out ahead in the long run.

Jump in unprepared and you may be sorry later. Good luck and Enjoy the journey, J.D.

An "unlikely" Bedford. Look at some others. Get a feel for what you want to use it for. some people have a hard time mounting & shooting a true Bedford because of the extreme drop in butt stock. They don't fit me 5'-10" 33" arm length. But I do like the looks. $1700.00 will buy a nice rifle somewhere. The Pedersoli is a good gun---just not the best style as far as time frame they do shoot well ...Tom

Haven't seen Belcher's version of a Bedford, but Bedfords are a unique style of LR that some can shoot and others can not. They're usually muzzle heavy because of the straight, heavy bbl and many have excessive drops. Don't like resting my chin on the comb.

Be patient and wait for a more orthodox style of LR, eg....Lancaster, York or LRs from surrounding areas. Of course...to each his own.....Fred

whats you thoughts on a Pedersoli Rocky mountain Hawkin 50 cal. Maple stock ,on sale 999.99, Godd bad indifferent

Perhaps you should consider starting another thread in the Percussion Rifles forum to solicate opinions on production guns. Enjoy, J.D.

Back