• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frustrations with my used TVM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm having no luck putting an image on this site, but I will be happy to email it to you if you pm me. cheers jim

cranky1 said:
"...the hammer needed to be bent..."
What made you decide the hammer needed to be bent?
(to be clear, TVM doesn't make locks, they buy them)

"...the real puzzling thing is the fact that "m avance" and "50 cal" is stamped upside down on the left side of the barrel!..."
Amazing.
Did you buy this rifle new directly from TVM?

And if so, why didn't you just have them pick it back up and make it right at no charge?

:hmm:

Of several TVM Early Virginias and Late Lancaster I have, M.Avance is stamped on the top flat and that's it, nothing else like caliber is stamped on any of the barrels.

ok guys, I inherited this rifle from my buddy when he passed in march. he bought the rifle new from tvm a few years ago. due to his ongoing illness , he did very little with the rifle. I bent the hammer because it was hitting straight on to the frizzen, smashing the flint almost every time. got that fixed now. re-cut the rear sight dovetail, and will probably re-cut the front also. the reason I am not going to send it back is because it is (1) not a new rifle to me.(2) I live in the Yukon territory of Canada and the shipping is just too much. I did not say that I did not like the rifle, merely that I was a bit disappointed with the workmanship. it is a beautiful long rifle/ my first but hopefully not my last.cheers jim

oh yes forgot to add. the"50 cal" is still stamped upside down on the left side!cheers jim

I also have several TVM guns and "M. Avance" is the only thing stamped anywhere on the guns. If a flint hits a frizzen straight on then you need to reposition the flint or use a smaller flint.

Lakota,

Where do you live. There is probably a knowledgable ml shooter, maker near you who can fix you up. The oversized sight dovetail just needs, at worst, a larger rear sight, which can be bought and filed to fit. The dovetail can be cleaned up with a modified triangle file. Many of us make these things, and can fix one too.

frogwalking said:
Lakota,

Where do you live. There is probably a knowledgable ml shooter, maker near you who can fix you up. The oversized sight dovetail just needs, at worst, a larger rear sight, which can be bought and filed to fit. The dovetail can be cleaned up with a modified triangle file. Many of us make these things, and can fix one too.
I live in NE Ohio. If my repair fails I am going to go to a sight with a larger base but so far so good it seems to be holding.

Hey C:
Why did you ask a question if you don't want to hear different opinions? :youcrazy:
Decent folks here, lighten up!
Nit Wit

I wasn't aware I asked a question. just stating that I wasn't thrilled with the workmanship on the tvm rifle. I don't need advise on how to file a dovetail deeper and install a new sight . I have been doing that for years. I am just disappointed that I had to do that on a supposedly custom made rifle.

Okay maybe I missed something here. Your sight fix seems to be on track with several different ways to get it fixed. Now your trigger stay with me guys, I had the same problem and it was and easy fix. I found the set trigger was pressing on the sear and preventing the hammer from cocking unless the trigger was set. The fix was to shim the trigger out until it was clear of the sear and problem was solved. Hope this all make good since. I did not have to make any adjustments to my trigger group for this correction. Fox

This thread needs to be locked! TVM makes good stuff and if something goes wrong deal directly with them please. I'm certainly glad they are big enough not to reply to these people in public. I'm sure their side of the story may differ Bob

I've contracted with TVM for a Late Lancaster. Should be around February or so. I did a lot of research about them before I decided to go with them. I have all the confidence in the world in them or else I would not have contracted for a rifle. I'll let you know how it turns out. But if their work is as good as it was easy corresponding with Melanie, I have no doubts it will be a good rifle.

Back