• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

wadding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are references in the 18th century to tow, brown paper rubbed soft, Spanish moss, "old Saddle pierce", old hat, leather shreds and cards cut to bore size. I've used tow, brown paper, leather and card cut to bore size. I've also used shredded bark from cedar trees to good effect in my hunting.

Spence

I use old shopping bags or news paper rubed soft with lard,
I just make smaller over shot packing. What do you all use over shot.I am always woried about too thick or not thick enough.Shoot treerats at 25 yds or so,but I always get a funny fealling when loading and wonder if I shoud buy overshot cards

tenngun said:
I just make smaller over shot packing. What do you all use over shot.
I don't think you have to worry about making the overshot wad too thick if you are using soft paper or tow. I put in enough tow or cedar bark over the shot to make a 1/4"-3/8" plug after it is rammed, and I have never seen any problems with the patterns.

My soft paper is probably different than yours, my overpowder is a single piece folded double, not a bunch of it stacked up. I use the same over the shot, but may put two of those if the bore is clean or if one seems loose. The description of these can be found in a 1767 book, at this link:
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/aimwell.html

I wasn't impressed with his method as done by me, I never used it in my hunting.

I've had some of my best patterns when using these soft wads, tow and cedar bark.

Spence

Last edited by a moderator:
norderner said:
Hey Ohio, how far out does the cup drop off from the shot? And, what are your patterns like?

I don't measure where the paper falls off since it deteriates when fired. But it takes my improved cylynder down to a modified, and my modified barrel down to about a full choke.I roll the cartridge three thickness, tie one end, fill with shot ,twist and fold over and tie shut. I load with the folded end out and do not use an over shot card. Just two 1/4 (approximate ) leather wads over the powder charge and then the shot cartridge. :hmm:

A wad of teriyaki beef jerky has the added benefit of odor. Does anything smell better than standing downwind of a Burger King? Now add a little sugar and spice!

Now this is the first time I've heard of using jerky for wading. Think I'll make up some fresh jerky right now and get the wad punch out and make some. Wonder how it tastes afterwards. Thanks for all of the responses. Learning a lot.

Back