• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baby Wipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAEDWALD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Something I have not seen mentioned is using baby wipes (the wet things in plastic bags/boxes for cleaning babies bottoms when changing nappies) as cleaning cloths.

Ready made cheap damp cleaning patches. One opened out goes down my bore a treat and comes out with most of the fouling.

You would think they made baby bottom drying wipes as well, but no.

-WARNING- -WARNING-

While recycling saves money and can reduce the amount of material that goes into our landfills, never recycle Baby Wipes that have actually been used on the rear of a baby! :shocked2: :barf: :shake:

Some fellow skirmishers and I tried them many years ago and found some problems so abandoned the idea. We were cleaning between relays, not a thorough cleaning back to a pristine bore but enough to remove the fouling. The cleaning pushed some of the fouling down to the breach and the alcohol or whatever it is in the wipes hardened the fouling which lead to problems during the skirmish.

Well with my youngest being 20, and my Grandchildren in their teens, I'm well past the "baby" stage.
With that, I prefer to stay away from baby wipes cause the smell of'm remind me of what they're intended purpose is.
Besides the cleaning patches I cut from bought flannel by the yard and spit (or water) is a lot cheaper.

Put witch hazel on them, throw in your backpack, comes in handy when needed....Helps prevent and sooth those troublesome "growths"... :)

I'm with ya that! I have enough flannel for cleaning patches to last me a good long while myself. :thumbsup: Which reminds me that I do need to cut some today.

Lordy mercy!!! Thanks for reminding me. I almost ran out at our last match and had forgotten to cut some more. I'm going right now and cut a bunch of cleaning patches. BTW, I use the cotton flannel that I often find on the bargain table in my favorite fabric shops. Color or pattern be damned. Onward and upward!

I buy them anyway from discount shops to help with my, um.. sensitivities so I always have some around. The cost per sheet too much less than €0,01 to be worth calculating.

I do recycle teabags though. When used twice the tea can go into the compost (or, as we call them, chickens) and the dried paper is the best for combustible paper cartridges.

:eek:ff Use tea bags twice?? That is pretty frugal. I remember that back during the war (and when I say THE war, I mean WW II) coffee was rationed. My grandfather used to spread out the used grounds on a cookie sheet to dry after using them. Then when he made the next pot he would re-use them and add a bit more unused grounds to "freshen" the grounds up. Years later, I decided to give it a try just for old times sake. The result was a rather weak pot of coffee but it was better than a jab in the eye with a stick. Now, I just use coffee grounds and tea bags one time and into the garbage they go. Aren't I just the wild child?? :haha:

Back